PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > der Kampfflieger Projects

Old 01-12-2015, 05:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.51 MB
cbg likes this. . .

Nice, Roman! Love that blue/green/grey pattern.
cbg
Old 01-12-2015, 06:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
VERY nice! Please, keep it coming.

Jeff
Old 01-13-2015, 02:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 141.92 MB
Very nice, Roman, I'm lreally looking forward to it!

However, I strongly doubt the streaked camouflage (If not generally known: The streaking was a technique similar to drybrushing, applied with a brush over natural linen, or a light blue basecoat on the F.Is and early Dr.Is, and unneccessary with the advent of the preprinted lozenge fabric). The small axle wing would rather have been lozenge just like the fuselage.

As for the wings, now things get complicated. First of all, the V.23's wings (and, come to it, the V.25's, too) look nothing like the V.17's wings (which were streaked, obviously).

They also appear too inhomogenous to be painted. To me, they look quite similar to the E.V's wings, which were stained then clearcoated. There is also a distinct change of brightness on the left wing (just were it intersects the propellor in the second photo), which might be the border between two colours or simpl between two sheets of the plywood cover. Unfortunately, the photos are anything but conclusive...

Personally, I do not really believe in the stained camo theory (after all, the engine cowling isn't painted either), so clearcoated plywood it would be. Only, then I'd expected the wings to be brighter ?!?

Either way round, I'd completely rule out the streaked camo!

Bye!
Michi
Old 01-14-2015, 03:37 AM

...hmm, looks like I have to correct myself a wee bit:
Fokker axle wings were covered with plywood, and, hence, the V.23's would most probably be finished the same way as the wings. I.e., not lozenge (at least over at the aerodrome they are convinced that they were not fabric covered).
Old 01-14-2015, 09:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Michik, thank you for addition!

I will add camouflage like at E.V wing because this planes was made at the same place and the same time.

For metal and plywood surfaces probably used different paints with different texture or so, then metal surfaces got smooth color and plywood was streaked.
Google Adsense
Old 01-14-2015, 02:25 PM

Brilliant - that's going to be one colourful plane!
Old 01-14-2015, 03:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 357.33 MB
Fokker V.23 Monoplane

Nice looking Fokker model, Roman!

I hadn't seen it before, that I know of. Was it just an intermediate prototype, or did it see some production? It looks kind of like a D.VII, with just a centre wing, instead of the classic biplane design.

I always like the lozenge pattern, if it isn't too far away from the real thing...

Bengt
Old 01-14-2015, 04:02 PM

The V.23 was indeed a descendant of the V.11 (which eventually was to become the D.VII). Starting with the V.1 Fokker followed a simple pattern to create his excellent fighter planes:
First - build a small plane for manouverability.
And second - reduce drag for high performance.
The first big step to do so was eliminating the bracing wires and using a thick cantilever wing instead. The second step was switching from a bi- to a monoplane (the triplane was only a temporary backstep, induced by the appearance of the Sopwith Triplane). Fokker's first monoplane since the E-series was the V.17, practically a monoplane version of the D.VI (which was the biplane version of the Dr.I). More or less parallel, the V.20 was developed from the D.VII.

Both were further refined to the V.25 and the V.23 prototype respectively. The V.23 had an excellent performance. However, it was refused by the testing front pilots because they felt the wing would obstruct their field of view too much. Therefore Fokker switched to the parasol configuration, thus creating the V.26 which was accepted and went into production as the E.V/D.VIII.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Smile

Here the finished testing model. Is a pretty plane. more pics on specific thread on aviation section.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.41 GB
Nicely done.... me like it.