PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Requests

Old 08-23-2011, 09:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.09 MB
I think it's a great subject for a model. I was gathering information to try to design it mysefl, but sadly because RL I'm stuck with my second design :(
Old 08-26-2011, 12:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
I recall reading of this plane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattokun View Post
Hello,

Does anyone know about, or is anyone working on, a kit for a Russian airplane named Khai-3, Chay-3, or similar? Searching reveals different names and spellings. I have attached some pictures. Some of the pics seem to show that the cockpit is "short", while the photo shows that it was actually "long". As far as I know, there has only been one of them produced, but I may be wrong there.

Please note: I don't own the copyright to any of the pictures, they are all from google image, I claim no rights, and apologize if I infringe any copyrights.

Thanks all.

Hello, I do recall reading about this aircraft. It was produced in limited numbers, I don't think more than about 15 or 20 were built.
The Idea was a sort of STOL-feederliner, much as though an airborne autobus.
Speed was not considered as important as range, which, as a flying wing design, was considerable.
The later versions were somewhat different from the earlier (short cockpit versions being basically the first three prototypes), and although they saw little use during the Great Patriotic War the last one was said to have survived in Siberia as late as mid-1943.
They had (from memory) two or three different types of engine, each of different power output, somewhere between 175 and 325 horsepower, depending on exact model and configuration.
Handling in the air was said to be adequate and stable, if unspectacular.
If my recall is correct, they seated 11 passengers and one pilot.

I don't recall much more than that, and am recalling the above from having read it in either Czech or Cyrllic, which means I may have misread a few minor details.

However, I hope the info I've given has been of use to you.

Kind and Respectful Regards, Uyraell.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
There was a simular American plane, a jet though, I want to say Republic made it (it never entered service, ) but I lost that book and don't entirely trust my memory. Had 4 .50's but was supposed to ram enemy aricraft! Which probably is why it remial experimental!
Old 10-08-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleswlkr54 View Post
There was a simular American plane, a jet though, I want to say Republic made it (it never entered service, ) but I lost that book and don't entirely trust my memory. Had 4 .50's but was supposed to ram enemy aircraft! Which probably is why it remained experimental!
I believe you are thinking of the XP 79.
It was a turbojet offshoot of the MX324 developed by Northrop.
Which led to the XP 79, also by Northrop.

Where Republic enters the scene is nowadays unclear, albeit at the time aviation magazines etc were circulating rumours of Republic undertaking subcontracting and parts production work for the XP 79.

Needless to say, this never eventuated.

The XP 79 proved to be dynamically unstable in flight, being a victim of it's seriously flawed and underpowered Westinghouse jet engines.
During one flight, the unfortunate testpilot was forced to abandon the aircraft, which was destroyed on impact, and led to the brief resumption of tests with the XP 79 B.
This had essentially the same engines (again Westinghouse) as the Northrop X4 Bantam, and was eventually grounded and the project abandoned as had been the case with the Bantam.

The curious fact in all of this is that the progenitor aircraft, having been designed ab-initio as a rocket-propelled airframe, was the MX324 which had few if any aerodynamic vices.
This suggests the airframe modifications necessary for the XP 79 family to accommodate the Westinghouse engines (which were a worthless liability in any case) were the causes of the failures in the XP79.

I hope the above is of interest to you, charleswlkr54.

As regarding the Khai3: it was, at the time of its' design, one of several "all wing" or "Flying wing" designs being explored by various nations in the northern hemisphere. Hence the apparent similarities between it, the Westland Pterodactyl, the DFS139, the MX324, The Fauvel 36, and various other airframes planned or built.

Kind and Respectful Regards charleswlkr54, Uyraell.

Last edited by Uyraell; 10-08-2011 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Typographic error.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Yes, that was it, just couldn't remember the designation! But it seems tha flying wing concept is being vindicated, hence the B-2!
Google Adsense
Old 10-11-2011, 03:25 AM

Nor is the B2 all it would seem, in terms of its' origins.
Though claimed as a Northrop design, the aircraft clearly owes far more to the Gotha 229 as designed by Walter and Reimar Horten.
The major distinction between the Horten design and Northrop's being that (prior to the B2) the Northrop aircraft all had vertical rudders whereas the Horten aircraft did not.
The Horten design replaces the rudder with spoilers set at certain points across the wing, which have the same effect as a rudder, in operation. None of Northrop's known designs prior to the B2 ever featured such a system. Nor did any Northrop flying (apart from the N9m) wing ever have such a small Radar Cross Section as the Horten/Gotha 229.
These facts all but shout the origins of the B2. They also account for why the Gotha 229, over 60 years after arrival in the USA, is to this day listed as "In storage, awaiting restoration".

Kind and Respectful Regards charleswlker54, Uyraell.

Last edited by Uyraell; 10-11-2011 at 04:06 AM.