PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Requests

Old 10-07-2011, 01:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Historic Railroad Loco

Dear List folks:
The Porter historical society of Youngstown, NY has started a new project of the Lewiston youngstown frointier railroad. a 7.5 mile line of electric trollys started in 1880's. the Cold storage plant had a steam loco (see attached photo). a paper model would be wonderfull to add to the exibit. 1:20.9 scale. first need to ID the loco, then gather 3d info, I guess.
Any help greatfully accepted,
MILES LINNABERY
Attached Thumbnails
Historic Railroad Loco-dietzlewyngsrail.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 10-07-2011, 03:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
That would make a nice model. I hope there are records available to help identify it.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I'm trying to remeber where it was offered, but just for general info there is a Porter 040T offered as a free download.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Not as long, but ...

Phils Creations - Porter Locomotives

Maybe Darwin can help us figure this out
Old 10-07-2011, 05:36 PM

Dear C&V:
When I first saw the picture at the historical socity open house I too thought about Phils 0-4-0T but its a saddle tanker not a straight 0-4-0 with tender. I still think that it is from the HK Porter works. I feel its oil fired not wood or coal. most likly pulled 4 or 5 boxcars to load apples, peaches and grapes 7 miles to the cold storage plant. the other name for the railroad was the Old Fort Line.
Thanks for replying someone will say yes thats a blank loco,
MILES
Google Adsense
Old 10-07-2011, 06:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
If this is a Porter, it's unlike any I've ever seen. The builder's plate is not the standard Porter shield that would be correct for the period and the crosshead doesn't look like any Porter piece, either. The cab isn't typical from what I've seen, but could be a rebuild. While Porter probably did build build extended smokeboxes, there probably weren't a lot of them. Also, the journals on the tender aren't the standard Porter style.
While all of these specifics could have been changed over the years, my first guess would be that this is not a Porter locomotive.
You are correct that it is oil fired. That box rising where the coal/wood would be is the oil tank. That could be a retrofit, a lot of the earlier engines were switched to oil this way.
If you have the exact name of the company that first purchased the engine, I might be able to find out if it's on the Porter construction list. Are there any other photos (even bad ones) of this loco?
Chris
Old 10-07-2011, 06:25 PM

Dear Chris:
could it be a baldwin? so far it's the only picture of this loco. Line was put in in 1880's only 7+miles long 68#rails. Line was electric lots of pictures of trollies then this one showed up. line stopped being used in 1930-1940's. Picture has to be taken in Youngstown at the cold storage plant no date on picture though.
THANKS,
MILES
Sure would make a neet model
Old 10-08-2011, 03:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
How about this piece of infi I found here: American Radiator Steam Locomotive (photograph, 1938) | Flickr - Photo Sharing! - American Radiator Co apparently manufactured steam locos aswell? Here's the photo I found there, looks like the one in the Mr. Linnabery's photo. Tender is different but loco has certain resemblance.

Tappi
Attached Thumbnails
Historic Railroad Loco-am-rad.jpg  
Old 10-08-2011, 06:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
This loco could indeed be a Baldwin, as they made a fair number of this style, but it could also be a Lima, Alco, or other manufacturer. This type of small industrial was built by most large manufacturers. The extended smokebox says it was originally a coal burner and has been switched to oil. The two sandboxes were most often used on short lines with no turning facilities, usually for freight haulage.
But the real problem with identification is that these smaller industrials are not as well documented as the mainline engines. Added to that, many of these were rebuilt, either in the RR shop or by other manufacturers. And the loco in your photo looks to be at least partially rebuilt to me, but I could be wrong. It could still be a Porter that has been modified. The builders plate looks like it might be a rectangle, which would make American Locomotive Company (ALCO) the likely builder, and that would be my guess... but it's just a guess.
Chris
Yes, sure would make a great model.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
That was the one I was thinking of, King! Just couldn't remeber where I downloaded it fron.
Google Adsense