PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Requests

Old 12-12-2011, 11:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.39 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to RyanShort
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestforests View Post
Sorry, dude, but history isn't as necessary to the survival of our society as are next season's rookies.
Who will make stupid rookie mistakes if they do not learn from history...
Sorry, but I STRONGLY disagree. We'd be far better off if the kids went back to making models out of wood, turned the TV, video games, and computer off, and did stuff and went to historical sites.

Ryan
Old 12-13-2011, 08:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Revell had a model of the Olympia out back in the 70's, I think Lindberg ended up with the molds as I saw the same model years later in their packaging. I definately would like to have a model of the old girl again!
Old 12-13-2011, 08:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleswlkr54 View Post
Revell had a model of the Olympia out back in the 70's, I think Lindberg ended up with the molds as I saw the same model years later in their packaging. I definately would like to have a model of the old girl again!
Hi, Charles, I have seen that Lindberg model online, as well as a Revell kit (1/232 scale) and what is said to be a re-issued version based on the Revell mold sold by "Encore", a company I am not familiar with. There i also a 1/700 version from Combrig. The Encore kit is being offered in two packages, one standard plastic kit, the other "premium" kit includes etched details and veneer wood decking...but there is no reason this fine ship can't be available in paper, and can be made just as good as any of the other offerings, perhaps even as good as a limited edition issued by Bluejacket (which is a real fine looking kit!).

Would make a fantastic Christmas gift if someone took this on as a new design project....

Cheers!
Jim
Old 12-13-2011, 03:13 PM
Banned

I wonder why training schools could not use this ship as a way of having students of trades hone their skills and if there aren't any students, then, that would be a good indication of where the problem lies. I am sure carpenter, electrical, welding, steamfitting, all these skills are still applicable. It could be a good way to have people serve out community sentences. Just some ideas that might work. Bump was too short.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:36 PM

Not only is there no card model of Olympia out there, but the whole American pre-WWI fleet is sorely neglected. Apart from Digital Navy's USS Oregon, HMV's USS Maine (which I have in progress), and Golden Bear's soon-to-be USS Iowa, what else is there? Anything? I'd love to see models of USS Petrel (PG-2), or USS Atlanta (protected cruiser), or USS Miantonomoh (BM-5), or USS Katahdin, or ... well, you get the idea.
Google Adsense
Old 12-14-2011, 10:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
How about USS Kearsarge (BB-5) - Dad was on the aircraft carrier with same name, USS Kearsarge (CV-33)

If one wants something really different, how about BB-5 as U.S. Crane Ship No.1, post 1920. http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/010501.jpg

Here's where that comes from http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/05c.htm
Old 12-15-2011, 02:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.41 MB
The Revell Olympia is the lastest molding of the same model. It was Pyro, than Lifelike, than Lindberg, now Revell! I had them all except the Revell. Figured enough was enough! Lately though i have been spying a Revell version on ebay! Im out of control when it comes to Olympia's and PT 109's!!! Maybe we could get together and commision Digital navy into doing it to go with his Oregon?
Old 12-15-2011, 02:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
I had been thinking "Didn't Glencoe have a plastic model of Olympia?"
Nope, Google turned up the Oregon (BB-3) is what they have made.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.41 MB
In hindsight i may have gotten the order of who marketed the olympia and when wrong none the less they were the big four for that particular model in that other medium. Im usually lucky to know if its morning or night without looking, knowing what day of the week it is, most of the time is guesswork these days! Never heard of "Encore" and if they are producing this kit with the PE to go with it, that would be great. Glad to see this classic (in that other medium) still has legs!
Old 12-16-2011, 03:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 101.41 MB
Both Revell and Pyro produced models of the USS Olympia back in the late 1950s -early 1960s. Revell's 1:233 scale kit is superior to Pyro's 1:228 scale version. Pyro's kit was later re-issued by Lindberg and I believe Life-Like.

Pyro also modified their USS Olympia kit and released it as "USS Maine" -- beware! It is extremely inaccurate and does not resemble the box cover art.
Google Adsense