PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Requests

Old 12-12-2011, 01:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
U.s.s. Olympia 1895

I know I have read from time to time folks asking about whether anyone would be interested in taking on an attempt to design a paper model of this ship, and I'd thought I would raise the question once again, just in case there was a paper model ship designer out there looking for a new challenge.

I think a model of this historic ship would be a great idea, not just from a selfish desire to see her in paper model form, but also as a way to perhaps preserve a bit of history for the actual ship, which is in a sad state due to the need for further funds to continue with essential repairs. Perhaps it might also be considered to make the model available to the museum on a limited consignment basis to raise further funds for her restoration and upkeep.

Whatever the motivation, I think this would be a superb project and wonder if anyone out there might consider taking on this ship as a design project...just wondering....

Cheers!
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
U.s.s. Olympia 1895-uss-olympiajpg-3917d12584c3de51_large.jpg   U.s.s. Olympia 1895-800px-uss_olympia_2.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 12-12-2011, 02:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I hope this comes to fruition, Jim, and I hope Olympia can be saved!

Don
Old 12-12-2011, 03:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
What Don said on both counts...happy to share the pics I took on Olympia in May if that helps any designer...

Noting the significance of Olympia and the few remaining vessels from this era (anywhere), I am amazed that it is left to local initiatives to support her restoration and maintenance - I imagine that the budget expended in just deciding where the retired Space Shuttles will go would keep her 'afloat' for many years...
Old 12-12-2011, 04:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
My earliest visit to Olympia was as a kid. In 1962, My Baltimore buddy, Jim Reuter (JimR in this Forum) and I made another visit and as a fresh caught second lieutenant I received my second salute ever from the Marine sentry at the Philadelphia Navy Yard gate when I showed him my i.d. card.

At that time, Olympia was in pretty good shape. Among the exhibits was a set of models (probably 1/32" - 1 foot scale) by Ed Wiswesser of the Pacific squadron in white and ochre (before the repainting in gray at Hong Kong prior to the Battle of Manila Bay).

In future years, the ship deteriorated, but in the early 90s it had been restored and looked beautiful. It is sad to see that fine historical vessel deteriorating and its future in doubt.

Don
Old 12-12-2011, 05:46 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
That ship should be in the hands of who ever will take care of her. I have thought that some of these ships should be dry docked, completely taken out of the water. A dry dock could be made, and the ship floated in, then "close the doors', drain the dock and make a permanent, out of water home. There would be much less corrosion and I imagine people would get a kick out of seeing the bottom of something so massive. Once restored, it could always be re-floated, but it isn't like anyone is planning to take her out to sea or anything. It would be cool if organizations could have sleep overs and use fitting parts the ship, nothing that would "ruin" her, for entertainment to support her upkeep.
Google Adsense
Old 12-12-2011, 07:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.39 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to RyanShort
The Olympia and the USS Texas both are sorely needed subjects, and both are museum ships that are apparently vastly under-appreciated.
I'm happy to say I've set foot on both. I hope my children are able to.

Ryan
Old 12-12-2011, 09:32 PM

I, too, have had the honor of walking the decks of each, and other musuem ships, over the years, but I recall the condition of TEXAS in particular, as there were so many spots where time and the elements had worn away the steel structures, that it is shame and quite sad to see a ship allowed to get that way. I remember on instance where the decking had worn to such an extent one could step through the wasted area, it was actually unsafe. Frankly, these ships need our help and attention, as they are not going to heal themselves. I do believe having a paper model of each of them available can be used to draw attention to their plight and, perhaps, become a basis to highlight the historic importance of each vessel and underline the dire need of each for funding to provide serious maintenance and repair work. I think we can use the USS CONSTITUTION as an example, where this tremendously historic ship was about to be used as a target for gunnery practise, but a cry went out to the public to becry this ludicrous decision by the Navy Department, and the ship was saved moemntarily, but it wasn't until the Boston school children conducted a very public pennies for Constitution campaign which drew the necessary attention to the vessel's plight and slowly but surely lead to significant action being taken by Congress to fund the historic 1929 restoration work which actually saved this iconic vessel...so that now our grandchildren can still walk her decks in Charlestown...Just a thought on how with a small ripple some enormous restoration efforts can take shape...hopefully one of our many talented designers might consider one or both of these vessels when contemplating a new ship model shibject....

Cheers!
Jim
Old 12-12-2011, 09:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Sorry, dude, but history isn't as necessary to the survival of our society as are next season's rookies.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.41 MB
Or the latest american idol!!!! Shame on us!!!! I would volunteer extra taxs to help keep the Olympia available just in case some youngsters some years from now were curious on how they managed to keep their freedoms...just by chance!
Old 12-12-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestforests View Post
Sorry, dude, but history isn't as necessary to the survival of our society as are next season's rookies.
Me thinks most people have a lot more common sense than that, or is that wishful thinking?

What you said is the whole point, to bring the plight of these ships to the forefront of the public's myopic attention, as was done during the last century, to demonstarte how such historic objects provide important lessons about our heritage and national character, the spirit of innovatoin and willingness to overcome seemingly impossible obstactles, which, as an inspiration to my children and my children's children, can help them overcome whatever challenges they may encounter. The lessons of history are essential to a secure future....

Cheers!
Jim
Google Adsense