PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Requests

Old 08-12-2012, 11:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 193.89 MB
Funny about this I was at Bob Burns house in the early 90's and he had the full size prop in his driveway . He offered it to me and my friends if we wanted it and could get it our of there . To bad We lacked the resourses at the time to remove . The thing was huge . As I remember it the outside of it was covered in a mesh of steel to simulate the panels . Any way really neat model . I will be following this one
Old 07-16-2014, 03:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.44 MB
I'm back

Hello,

since my last post here in this thread quite a lot happened. I wasn't able to work with the 3D files by codex34 at the time he posted them as I had no 3D program to work with. Then I bought Rhino, and after a lot of distraction I once tried to model the derelict but got lost in the curves of this ship.

Now in the last weeks, I try to learn Blender, mostly for video editing, compositing and special effect work, but also try a bit of modeling. Today I thought the derelict would be quite a nice exercise and gave it a go. Here is a screenshot of about 3 hours of work on it. It's still in the very early stages and only a basic mesh with most details still missing, but at least the edges follow the curves nicely. I'm quite happy how Blender allows to edit biological shapes so far.

Primary goal is to learn the software and get some nice renders, but perhaps I manage to get a paper model out of it, too.

BTW, it's based on the 2012 Prometheus version only. Just love the SFX of that movie...

Cheers,
Thorsten
Attached Thumbnails
Alien derelict spaceship-blender_derelict_001.jpg  
Old 07-17-2014, 05:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
Ohhh, this looks great! Thank you for tackling this one! It doesn't matter if you use the Alien or Prometheus one, they are virtually the same (aside from the aged look and the damaged hull seen on the LV-426 version). I'll be following this one!
Old 07-17-2014, 05:57 AM

Well they differ more than you might think. The basic shape is very different, the Prometheus one is a lot more like a circle in top view (perhaps to make the rolling sequence work). The original Alien version is more like a U with long straight arms. This is also one aspect which makes Prometeus NOT a direct prequel for Aliens, at least if you follow enthusiasts ;-)
Old 07-17-2014, 10:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
Oh, I didn't notice. Thanks for the info!
Google Adsense
Old 07-17-2014, 11:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 417.89 MB
The ship is also nicknamed the Juggernaut. We dont know how long the ship was lying yhere in Alien so ship design probably evolved over time either evolving from the Prometheus design into the Alien design or from the Alien design into the 2,000 year old drsign in Prometheus. Either way it is a freaky design. The asymmetry of it makes it very odd/alien to our ideas of a 'aerodynamic' vehicle.

In progress: Canon Alice in Wonderland Tunnel House, Canon A340, Learning Blender
Old 07-17-2014, 11:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 417.89 MB
This has me thinking now. I wonder if the Juggernaut on LV-246 survived the nuclear explosion in Aliens? How wide is Nebraska? :-)

In progress: Canon Alice in Wonderland Tunnel House, Canon A340, Learning Blender
Old 07-17-2014, 11:50 AM

Yes I agree. The Alien and Prometheus alien and alien hardware designs have a very special beauty. Everything looks like a perfect symbiosis of engineering and biology, like grown machines. This ship is no exception.

Perhaps I get some more done on the model during the next days. Will post progress.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Quote:
Originally Posted by piginapoke View Post
This has me thinking now. I wonder if the Juggernaut on LV-246 survived the nuclear explosion in Aliens? How wide is Nebraska? :-)
I thnk that it would be a fair assumption that the original ship on LV-426 is "still" there. It was discovered again by an exploration team, which after some decades of human occupation of the planet you might resonably expect to be some considerable distance from the colony itself, and its rather delicate reactor...
Old 07-18-2014, 01:29 PM

A little update:
Attached Thumbnails
Alien derelict spaceship-blender_derelict_002.jpg  
Google Adsense