PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Requests

Old 07-19-2014, 02:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.13 MB
Lightbulb Star Trek TNG shuttle

Has anyone attempted designing the shuttle from The Next Generation's first season? The rounded form would be a challenge, but this would be very cool to have on the shelf.
Google Adsense
Old 07-19-2014, 07:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 79.91 MB
the official name for that type of shuttle is type 7 and there is a group of top designers currently working on it
Old 02-02-2015, 11:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 12.68 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogatsby View Post
the official name for that type of shuttle is type 7 and there is a group of top designers currently working on it
Is there a thread?

Very curvy shape. I haven't seen many ref pics that can give one a clear sense of how the engines join the main body.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.74 GB
There's one of this in Thunderchild shuttle pack, take a look at 1:200 Trek Shuttle collection by ThunderChildFTC on DeviantArt.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:54 PM

Ok, I bit the request. Pretty much finished off a parts model. Just printed out part of it on plain paper and put it together to check seams (it isn't on cardstock, and a quick build so it's a bit puckered and wrinkled as well as a few fingerprints). It's too big (I think 1/32). Going to try scaling it down somewhat.

The thing is a bear. There are hardly any straight lines or single radius curves anywhere. Top hull seems ok. The hard part will be getting the humpback and engine assembly to integrate nicely. Don't expect it will be quick (got another project I really have to finish first). It's in the pipeline though.
Attached Thumbnails
Star Trek TNG shuttle-type7.blender.jpg   Star Trek TNG shuttle-type7.paperproto.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-15-2015, 10:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
WOOOW, this looks awesome!

I can imagine what it must be like to replicate such a complex shape in paper. Major kudos to you.

Please don't make it so small that it can't be built any more. 1/48 should be fine.

Will it be released someday? Reason for my asking, it was on my todo list, too.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revell-Fan View Post
WOOOW, this looks awesome!

I can imagine what it must be like to replicate such a complex shape in paper. Major kudos to you.

Please don't make it so small that it can't be built any more. 1/48 should be fine.

Will it be released someday? Reason for my asking, it was on my todo list, too.
Thanks it's encouraging

Well the curves are problematic in many ways. None of the 3 views really match the curves up properly which I realized while setting it up in Blender. As a result I won't guarantee it truly matches the shooting model, but aims to be a compromise of the best 3 view I could find and reference shots of the model. The physical model will probably define additional tweaks to the digital one b4 I can settle on the final set of parts. So this will take a while to finish up.

I've been fooling around with curvy subjects lately and already have a couple of subjects on the burner already, a rocketship Luna and a Royal Cruiser from SWtPM (as well as something I've been promising to make available since January - Narcissus. Just needs inst.).

When I get organized I'm thinking of putting what I'm learning from these curvaceous subjects for comment on the designer area. That might make me more focused to finishing them.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
The-Blueprints.com - Blueprints > Science fiction > Star Trek U.F.P. and Starfleet > Type 7 (Personnel Shuttle)

https://www.google.de/search?q=star+...w=1366&bih=632

http://infothread.org/Science+Fictio...niverse/page6/

I was having a simliar problem with the Turbobikes from Galactica 1980. (The designing is on hold for the moment because the fork needs some tweaking.) The front part consists of compound curves which were a pain to make (I use SketchUp). My solution: I drew a rather boxy shape first; a really simple low-poly object. Then I divided the faces and turned one into two faces. I push/pulled the edge between the formerly single face in order to smooth out a curve. I repeated that process till everything looked round enough and no longer boxy.

And remember to compensate for the thickness of the paper; it will save you much frustration when it comes to curved shapes.

Tags
star trek