PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Requests

Old 10-07-2019, 09:31 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Thanks much!!!

Thanks for sharing these!

I have experienced very similar issues with my test build. The primary hull was a challenge, as far as attempting to develop a sphere shape. I found it challenging, even though I was admittedly rushing the build to accomplish a test build during a chaotic time of moving! Your idea to separate the halves into separate strips is intriguing. I might have to try that.

I have been wondering about whether the sphere would be more likely to accomplish the shape properly if it was done in slices, like a globe. Maintaining connection, and developing a round shape, seems challenging with horizontal, thin strips instead of going with vertical slices. My effort looked very similar to yours when I tackled the primary hull. I'm going to try your suggestion and take my time on the next attempt, but I still think that rounding the thin strips, to create the desired shape, is difficult. It still appears that the hull would appear jointed. The final product leans toward appearing segmented and not smooth. I'm trying to still figure out that one.

I also experienced challenges with the interconnecting hull. I planned to reinforce it on a subsequent build, as you have suggested.

I also had the exact same experience with the pylons. My sleeves didn't slide in without carving and modifying them. The good news is that the sleeve-in-sleeve does seem to have produced a strong pylon, once modified. It was a goos idea from the designer.

I messed up on deck one. I placed it atop the primary hull, where it should have been fit just under the open hole created, when the sphere was completed. I missed that one. Thanks for your illustration. I'll catch it on the next build.

I found the ring around the hangar and rings around the aft of the nacelles a bit of a challenge too, but that could have been because I was rushing it. Your's looked much smoother than my effort. I need to "round" them to make the final product as smooth as yours. Thanks for the illustration to help.

Did you figure out what to do with the gray circles on the same page as the nacelle parts? I figured where to put the endocarp illustrations and the white circles, but...

Last edited by THE DC; 10-07-2019 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Ooops
Old 10-07-2019, 09:56 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Follow up

A couple of thoughts...

I'm exploring whether veneering would help smooth out the segmentation of the spherical primary hull. What do you think?

I noted that there's nothing for the main sensor platform at the bottom of the primary hull. I'll have to get creative on the master build.

For the master build, I'm experimenting with an increased size version, though that might make the primary hull harder to round?

The bussard spheres were nicer that many kits that make them simpler, with closing leaves. The spiral effect seemed to provide a rounder effect, even with my rush build.

This is a great model. There's a lot of nice elements to it and it invites some possible detailing to really bring its potential out. I'm still struggling with the spherical shape effort.

Your sharing has been very, very helpful. Thanks so much! Your suggestions and observations have been very helpful!

And where ever you are, thanks to Deigo Cortes. This was a create contribution and has the potential to make for a pretty little kit, once done! Thanks!
Old 10-07-2019, 10:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.96 MB
I had the same thought about vertical wedges (like a globe or an orange slice) for the primary hull as well- but I don't think it would work.

One of the main problems working with paper/cardstock is that paper doesn't like to bend in more than one direction. The strip method used in this model actually requires only one real bend in the strip- the strip is cut in such a way as to avoid that second bend.

If you and I are thinking along the same lines, the map shapes in this video are what we're envisioning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RWcWSN4HhI

The globe slice approach would required that the piece curve not only from top to bottom (north-to-south), but would also have to be bent from one side to the other to account for the east-to-west curvature of the Earth.

The globe makers can use that shape because 1) the paper they're using is far thinner than anything we have access to, and 2) because they have a solid surface upon which to place and shape the paper.

Using cardstock, you're not going to be able to replicate that working surface or the curvature- which means you're going to wind up with a faceted look. You could minimize the east-west bend by using narrower strips, but this means a lot more cutting, gluing, and seams. And even then, the facets will be visible when the model is examined closely.

And no.

I have no idea what those grey circles were for.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 693.05 MB
I designed that model about 20 years ago, without any 3D modeling program, only with a very basic drawing program and with drawings that I found on the web. Understand that it cannot be very accurate. But thanks for building it and sharing it. It was nice to see him again.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selek7101 View Post
I had the same thought about vertical wedges (like a globe or an orange slice) for the primary hull as well- but I don't think it would work.

The globe slice approach would required that the piece curve not only from top to bottom (north-to-south), but would also have to be bent from one side to the other to account for the east-to-west curvature of the Earth.

Maybe, but people have used this approach to make yardstick globes of the moon and the earth, right?
Attached Thumbnails
daedalus class starship starship-006.jpg  
Old 10-08-2019, 09:49 PM

Thumbs up Glad to hear from you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegocs View Post
I designed that model about 20 years ago, without any 3D modeling program, only with a very basic drawing program and with drawings that I found on the web. Understand that it cannot be very accurate. But thanks for building it and sharing it. It was nice to see him again.
Glad you saw our efforts! Its so great tone able to thank you for making this kit. Its a very attractive model; I'm just trying to make the best one that I can.

I've increased the size by about 2x and have been looking at how to reinforce the structure in some places and enhance the fit on others. I drew ups a diagram last nigh that details how these alterations should be done, and some layering to enhance texture.

The primary hull still eludes me. I can create the sphere but smoothing out the "ridges" that developed in the test build is a head scratcher.

I'm also exploring a different material for the bustards than the paper ones you provided. Your spiral design makes for much better half spheres that most of the "petal" approaches that I have seen, but i'd like to get them even smoother.

Its really cool, even with my test build, to see how this design looks in real life, from multiple angles.

Thanks much for the design and for sharing it!

What other Star Trek ships have you designed?

Again, thanks!
Old 10-10-2019, 01:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 871.96 MB
Twenty years or twenty minutes ago, it's still a great model and very much appreciated!
Old 10-10-2019, 09:46 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 576.80 MB
Ron Caudillo made a sphere for me for the Klingon d7 cannon section that was much better, just ask him and im sure he will give it to you. he's very busy so give him a few days to respond.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:40 PM

Cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceagent-9 View Post
Ron Caudillo made a sphere for me for the Klingon d7 cannon section that was much better, just ask him and im sure he will give it to you. he's very busy so give him a few days to respond.

Thanks man. I will.

By the way, I found some other nice kits that Diego Cortez did; the Lantree, the Xeres, the Constitution II, and the Prometheus of a pocket kit size, and the larger space dock!

Thanks much for all these opportunities to practice and explore the way o' the paper...

Hey! Reviving the necrothread, to try to be helpful, has latched new life into this kit!