PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Requests

Old 12-30-2014, 04:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 172.57 MB
Send a message via AIM to Eggbertman Send a message via Yahoo to Eggbertman
daedalus class starship starship

im looking for the old uss daedalus or uss essex starships that were floating around a few years ago i lost my 2 versions in a hard drive crash if anyone has these laying around on there computers id be greatfull i do have the star trek legacy version but im looking for the more TOS era looking ones if anyone can help let me know thanks
Google Adsense
Old 09-20-2019, 01:06 AM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Is this a necrothread or are you still seeking this?
Old 09-20-2019, 09:16 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
seeing that his last visit was 4 years ago, i would say this is a necrothread when you replied
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 09-20-2019, 10:52 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Probably right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
seeing that his last visit was 4 years ago, i would say this is a necrothread when you replied

Probably right; I was just willing to help.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 871.96 MB
The Essex is in the downloads section in any event. I know because I just finished building her!
Google Adsense
Old 09-22-2019, 09:55 PM

Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by selek7101 View Post
The Essex is in the downloads section in any event. I know because I just finished building her!
Please share your build and any tips!

I don't suppose you made a build thread to provide direction?

Thanks!
Old 10-07-2019, 12:42 AM

Follow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by selek7101 View Post
Could you post some pics and tips?

The primary hull's a real trick!
Old 10-07-2019, 03:14 AM

I don't have a step-by-step for you, but I'll relate what pictures I took and my experience with the build.

It was a hasty build (only a couple of hours) and I have arthritis and fat fingers so unless you build her drunk, you should get better results than I.

Knowing the primary hull was going to make or break the build, I actually started there. As written, the template instructs you to cut out the two pieces (front and back) of the primary hull and join them by overlapping the edges.

There are two problems with this approach: first, you wind up bending and warping the cardstock where it's not cut in order to get the edges to overlap.
Second (and more damaging to the quality of your results) is that the template is low-res. There are quite a few tiny cuts and tucks needed to get the proper shape. Miss those, and your hull comes out warped:

Note the overlaps and distortions in the hull (particularly the bulge at the very bottom).

I wasn't at all happy with the result and nearly gave up on the model.

Old 10-07-2019, 03:23 AM

For my second attempt, I decided to cut each strip/level of the primary hull from it's neighbors and join them butt-to-butt with several small pieces of scrap cardstock to reinforce them. You can see the strips backlit in this photo:

Cutting each "level" free allowed a cleaner join to it's neighbors and eliminated the warping and missed-cuts issues. While each piece was still damp with glue, I rubbed the inside of the part using a small bamboo skewer to help shape the joint. This method was more time-consuming (and more frustrating given my fat fingers and the size of the scrap strips) but it produced a much better result:

Old 10-07-2019, 03:46 AM

The other "problem area" with this build is the section where the warp pylons and the "neck" of the ship connect.

This area of the model has no internal bracing to provide structural strength or rigidity and is easily smashed and crushed.

Note the long crease running along the neck.

Were (when) I build this model again, I'll reinforce the area and attach the warp pylons to the neck before mounting either the primary or secondary hulls.

The pylons are themselves problematic.

Each pylon has two pieces- an inner (structural) part and an outer "sleeve" which (in theory) slides over the inner part and provides detail to the model.

I'd also assumed that the inner pieces were intended to extend into the neck and meet in the middle to provide strength to the model.

Although I was careful about cutting and folding these pieces, I couldn't make the sleeves fit. Neither the slots into the neck nor the "sleeves" onto the inner pylons.

I wound up discarding the inner pieces and just glued the "sleeves" to the neck.

One detail note: On most starship models, the deflector dish at the front of the secondary hull is concave (bending inwards like a bowl). With the Essex, however- this part is convex (like a cone). It became obvious (in retrospect) that the neck joint is shaped for an outward (rather than an inward) slope.

Everything else about this build was fairly straight forward- the slot for the nacelle pylons is either very oddly places (you can see the red X's in the photo above) or I simply screwed up.

Even money on that one.

Although technically challenging (especially the primary hull) the Daedalus/Essex is actually a rather simple model.

There is a LOT of room open for additional detail and customization if you want to put in the effort.

Google Adsense