PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Requests

Old 01-18-2015, 03:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 254.22 MB
I used to make decals using Visio; I'm a big fan of the tool.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.41 MB
Back to Streamliners of which I have an interest in, we discussed this briefly in another subforum as well. I looked at modifying someones kit, RXR's 4-6-2 to be exact and just by simply making and fitting the streamlined body over the chassis plus a few minor additions. Never got to it, like a thousand other things I never got to yet!
Mike
Old 01-19-2015, 10:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
I am very interested in doing a Loco model.
The American streamliners are so wonderful.

But ...this...just sayin'...

Yep, our Coronation Class locos were real pretty ...

But the Mallards were close .... and they held the World Speed Record for steam.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hiawatha

Hello friends; here's mine

If you care to go to "Model Builds > Railway Related > 0 Gauge in Paper and a Build Thread" you'll see a little more on page 3, and on page 10 you'll find the reasons this model will probably remain unique. To repeat what was said over there, this is really a toy, made for running on very tight curves, so the chassis is vastly over-simplified, unlike the internal framing which is totally over the top! By comparison, the other pictures show the N Gauge version I designed, and serves to show what should be below the footplate - i.e. a lot!

It would take a lot of effort for me to redesign the files, and work up instruction sheets, as for reasons of health I'm preferring to concentrate on simpler designs How long would anyone wait for a re-worked model?

The last pic shows the Southern Railway's 'Merchant Navy' Pacific loco. I only got as far as designing the wheelsets, and a beginning on the motion. The machines designer, O.V.Bulleid, loathed the word 'streamlined' and preferred the term 'air smoothed'. Still an impressive looking piece of kit, though
Plumdragon
Attached Thumbnails
Hiawatha Streamlined Steam Engines-h-1.jpg   Hiawatha Streamlined Steam Engines-h-3.jpg   Hiawatha Streamlined Steam Engines-h-2.jpg   Hiawatha Streamlined Steam Engines-mn-1.jpg  
Old 01-20-2015, 08:58 PM

BobPomroy, if you have any photos of your Aeolus and Zephyr, please share them!

Plumdragon, you also did the Hiawatha in N-scale? It looks terrific! Could we see a few more photos of the completed model? I don't think I've ever seen a paper model presented in a custom box like that, very suitable for such a treasure. Beautifully done!
Google Adsense
Old 01-21-2015, 08:55 PM

Photos to come...

I was working on this a few years back when an injury kept me in a chair for months. I got as far as the Aeolus tender before I got well enough to move around. I'll dig it out and take some pics (along with the one car of my "American Orient Express" that I managed to actually build).
Old 01-21-2015, 09:02 PM

Plumdragon, Thanks so much for sharing! I'm very impressed, and inspired! Now that I know it can be done, I guess I'll just need to do it myself (when I get Visio again, that is).
Old 01-24-2015, 08:33 AM

BobPomroy and Art Deco, thank you so much for your kind words :-) Regarding the N Scale Hiawatha, those are the only pics I have of the beast, regrettably! The box is a small cigar box (with the embossed branding sanded down) and the lining was simply a card 'frame' covered in a black velvet from a thrift store ladies' shirt, with a bit of old ribbon for easing out the model if needed - I tend to look for 'economical' ways of doing things! But thank you for the compliment :-)
Bob, I'm pleased that you feel inspired :-) As that was my first locomotive design of any description, I didn't really know what I was doing! It's all a bit of a mish-mash, really, and my later ones are far simpler in their construction. But, I can offer a little advice regarding research, which is to scope out model train sellers on the 'net, particularly those that deal in 'high-end' models, like Brasstrains.com. Such sites can be a fruitful resource of pictures of loco's from angles you'd never see in photo's of the real thing, like roof and underframe details etc etc. One site had pics of an H0 Hiawatha, which conveniently had the body taken off to show the full motion, which of course is mostly hidden under that deep valence - hence, I was able to 'superdetail' the N Gauge model :-)
If I can be of any use in your design endeavours, Bob, don't hesitate to PM me, and I'll do my best to help :-) Good luck!
Plumdragon
Old 01-24-2015, 08:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
The only paper model of an American streamline steam engine I am aware of is the unusual model by Alan Rose, the 20th Century Limited. When I had at last found a (very expensive...) copy, I scanned and sized it down - full size, Alan Rose's models tend to take up rather a lot of space.
You will find some more pictures of streamlined loc. paper models on my Collection: https://www.flickr.com/photos/zeist_bouwplaten/
Attached Thumbnails
Hiawatha Streamlined Steam Engines-alanrose20thcenturyltd.jpg   Hiawatha Streamlined Steam Engines-20thc-2.jpg  
Old 01-25-2015, 04:59 PM

Photos, as promised...

Here are a couple of pictures of test builds of some of my railroad models. These are an odd scale (about 1:135). I'm watching eBay for an inexpensive copy of Visio, so I can finish these!
Attached Thumbnails
Hiawatha Streamlined Steam Engines-img_6202s.jpg   Hiawatha Streamlined Steam Engines-img_6203-copy.jpg   Hiawatha Streamlined Steam Engines-img_6204-copy.jpg   Hiawatha Streamlined Steam Engines-img_6205-copy.jpg   Hiawatha Streamlined Steam Engines-img_6206-copy.jpg  

Hiawatha Streamlined Steam Engines-img_6207-copy.jpg   Hiawatha Streamlined Steam Engines-img_6208-copy.jpg  
Google Adsense