PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Requests

Old 05-18-2016, 05:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 145.94 MB
SS United States Popular Mechanics

Don't know if this is the right thread area to ask, but does anyone have a copy of the 1952 Popular mechanics model of the SS United States? I looked in the Popular Mechanics website but the link they have doesn't seem to work.
Google Adsense
Old 05-18-2016, 09:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 24.66 MB
Have you tried google books?

https://books.google.com/books?id=qN...states&f=false
Old 05-18-2016, 09:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I have many old issues of Popular Mechanics and Popular Science
but I don't have that one!

Please post links to it if you find any online copies.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Hello Vince

Your original question about the Popular Mechanics issue from 1952 featuring a scale model build of the s/s United States has bugged me for a month now. I wanted to help out, since I grew up with those vintage PMs. I remember the cover first featuring it very well.

So I wanted to find it too. The reason I haven't until now just came to me when I looked at the date of your original posting - 19 April of this year. Turns out that the day after I broke my hip - or thigh bone rather - and I'm only now getting to the point where sitting at the computer is reasonably comfortable and fun again. So here goes.

From this search I've learnt that the place to start is here: The Internet Archive: Digital Library of Free Books, Movies, Music & More.

Whenever you find something there it will most likely get you to an e-book kind of thing in your browser. Try the search option on that site for "Popular Mechanics 1952" and you will see what I mean. You will find one item (N:o 209). Clicking that you'll get to a layout which is very nice to browse, but not so easy to download specific pages, nor to copy them into a graphic programme.

By some kind of freak accident or luck I didn't get there the first time, but to another layout,
namely this one: https://archive.org/download/PopularMechanics1952.

Having downloaded each and every copy of the twelve issues for 1952 in pdf-format, I of course found that the much sought for United States issue didn't appear until the last issue for that year, N:o 12, December 1952.

Having found and browsed through the article about the United States, it turned out that it continued the next issue, which of course would be January 1953. So the link now had to be manually changed to: https://archive.org/download/PopularMechanics1953.

On that site I had to download the first four issues for 1953 in order to get the complete set of articles about the S/S United States. So, in short, you will have to click on these five links:

Popular_Mechanics_12_1952.pdf
Popular_Mechanics_01_1953.pdf
Popular_Mechanics_02_1953.pdf
Popular_Mechanics_03_1953.pdf
Popular_Mechanics_04_1953.pdf

I'm glad I found this way to access free archives of PM and many other magazines and books. Hope you'll enjoy the S/S United States material. Also glad about finding links that easily adapt to download-friendly links for any year of PM, and by inference to other publications.

Leif
Attached Thumbnails
SS United States Popular Mechanics-pm-12-1952-cover.jpg  
Old 05-25-2016, 10:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Great work Leif! About ten years ago I had contacted the Popular Mechanics publisher and they photocopied and mailed me the article for a submarine in a bottle (Jan. 1967 Issue). I just did a quick search and found it on Google books and also on Solid Model Memories site, as well as on the Wayback Machine.
Google Adsense
Old 05-25-2016, 10:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I misunderstood that this might be a "paper" model.
Now I see that it is a carved wooden model
with the magazine providing some of the necessary patterns and templates
as well as build instructions.

I guess you could extrapolate into patterns for a paper model?

Regardless, I appreciate the effort to find the magazine.
I will install these onto my phone for future reading!
(I always need something at the Doctor's office. LOL)

I'm so glad I got to see the 1952 issue...
I loved the article on how to "play safe with Atomic Rays"!!
Old 05-25-2016, 10:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 528.35 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
I misunderstood that this might be a "paper" model.
Now I see that it is a carved wooden model
with the magazine providing some of the necessary patterns and templates
as well as build instructions.

I guess you could extrapolate into patterns for a paper model?

Regardless, I appreciate the effort to find the magazine.
I will install these onto my phone for future reading!
(I always need something at the Doctor's office. LOL)

I'm so glad I got to see the 1952 issue...
I loved the article on how to "play safe with Atomic Rays"!!

Ive been trying to figure out how to make paper models from line plans for a while now:
Attached Thumbnails
SS United States Popular Mechanics-em_ss_image01.jpg   SS United States Popular Mechanics-em_ss_image02.jpg   SS United States Popular Mechanics-em_ss_image03.jpg   SS United States Popular Mechanics-em_ss_image04.jpg   SS United States Popular Mechanics-em_ss_image05.jpg  

SS United States Popular Mechanics-em_ss_image06.jpg   SS United States Popular Mechanics-em_ss_image07.jpg   SS United States Popular Mechanics-em_ss_image08.jpg   SS United States Popular Mechanics-em_ss_image00a.jpg   SS United States Popular Mechanics-em_ss_image00.jpg  

Old 05-25-2016, 10:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.12 GB
bvrings back memories

Thanks Leif....really great returning to the 50's and Popular Mechanics....great posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif Ohlsson View Post
Hello Vince

Your original question about the Popular Mechanics issue from 1952 featuring a scale model build of the s/s United States has bugged me for a month now. I wanted to help out, since I grew up with those vintage PMs. I remember the cover first featuring it very well.

So I wanted to find it too. The reason I haven't until now just came to me when I looked at the date of your original posting - 19 April of this year. Turns out that the day after I broke my hip - or thigh bone rather - and I'm only now getting to the point where sitting at the computer is reasonably comfortable and fun again. So here goes.

From this search I've learnt that the place to start is here: The Internet Archive: Digital Library of Free Books, Movies, Music & More.

Whenever you find something there it will most likely get you to an e-book kind of thing in your browser. Try the search option on that site for "Popular Mechanics 1952" and you will see what I mean. You will find one item (N:o 209). Clicking that you'll get to a layout which is very nice to browse, but not so easy to download specific pages, nor to copy them into a graphic programme.

By some kind of freak accident or luck I didn't get there the first time, but to another layout,
namely this one: https://archive.org/download/PopularMechanics1952.

Having downloaded each and every copy of the twelve issues for 1952 in pdf-format, I of course found that the much sought for United States issue didn't appear until the last issue for that year, N:o 12, December 1952.

Having found and browsed through the article about the United States, it turned out that it continued the next issue, which of course would be January 1953. So the link now had to be manually changed to: https://archive.org/download/PopularMechanics1953.

On that site I had to download the first four issues for 1953 in order to get the complete set of articles about the S/S United States. So, in short, you will have to click on these five links:

Popular_Mechanics_12_1952.pdf
Popular_Mechanics_01_1953.pdf
Popular_Mechanics_02_1953.pdf
Popular_Mechanics_03_1953.pdf
Popular_Mechanics_04_1953.pdf

I'm glad I found this way to access free archives of PM and many other magazines and books. Hope you'll enjoy the S/S United States material. Also glad about finding links that easily adapt to download-friendly links for any year of PM, and by inference to other publications.

Leif
Old 05-25-2016, 06:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 145.94 MB
Thank you Leif, and everyone else responding. I also somehow remembered it as a paper model. I wasn't around in 1952 but it was reprinted somewhere around 2001 or so. I don't have the talent to make a decent wooden model, but I downloaded the plans anyway, just in case.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
SS United States Plans

While the Popular Mechanics articles are available in PDF, the actual plans are not included. They were apparently a pull-out supplement to the 1st part of the 5-part series, in the December 1952 issue. I've not been able to find them anywhere.
Google Adsense