PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Requests

Old 06-28-2016, 06:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.70 MB
give me a call if you ever want to tackle the Glennon. Ecardmodels has one that I started with, early war version (cork rafts), 40's anti aircraft guns, radar version. Your dad was probably after Fram, that would be fun to try to bring the model up to date. But it means one less 5 inch gun turret! You could spend that time on railings! My Dad got all teary eyed, then said the funnels looked a tad small (he was right - after 50 years, he was right).
Old 06-28-2016, 07:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by aansorge View Post
give me a call if you ever want to tackle the Glennon.
Ah, thanks! Given the problems with my hands it probably won't get tackled. I think Glennon was FRAM 1 and the Sumner class Ingraham was FRAM 2, it sticks in my memory that the FRAM numbers were the opposite order of when Dad was on them.
Glennon at the time had only two of the 5in/38 turrets and had triple tube torpedo launchers on sides of deck where upper forward turret had been.
Had large boxy ASROC launcher midships.
Also had two sonar domes for all or some of time Dad was on her. Caused her to burn a little more fuel per unit time than the other DDs did.
Her screws could throw quite a rooster tail for something that big and proportionally slower than speedboats when they had somewhere they wanted to be in a hurry.