PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Requests

Old 09-20-2016, 11:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 115.91 MB
Like I said... it's 'quick & dirty':

1" strip with a 2" circle... single cut to center of circle to make the peak of the Roof:

Blue taped to hold together, and to adjust Roof pitch.

George, your Rolling tip worked perfect! Of course, the Roof diameter
and Pitch can be adjusted prior to final Assy.

OP... is this on the right track? To achieve the 'look' of the Texture in your 2nd Photo,
one could use quilted Toilet paper on the outside of the Strip...

Alan
Old 09-21-2016, 03:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 176.06 MB
I'm not 100% sure I got the math correct, but I found a side view image online and tried to capture the curve using WebPlotDigitizer (WebPlotDigitizer - Copyright 2010-2016 Ankit Rohatgi), then did some math to try to generate a pattern that divides the roof into sectors. I stopped halfway up the roof because it looks like that's where it's covered by a normal cone shape.

If you want to try cutting this out to see if it comes out to about the right shape, let me know. If it's on the right track I can try to smooth out the curves a bit more and generate it with an arbitrary number of "petals".
Attached Thumbnails
A little help, please, with an architectural model-screen-shot-2016-09-21-2.00.52-am.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DymaxionTest.pdf (3.2 KB, 12 views)
Old 09-21-2016, 06:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 93.62 MB
Dymaxion Dilemma

Hey Alan.
That's pretty much what I came up with too. You and I can build some good looking Butler Brothers corn bins! LOL! A bit tougher than it first looks. But, hey, we're giving it a try! Be sure to look at the file nnlee downloaded. The cone top will need to be 'soothed' over also. I think nnlee is on the right track to solving the curves issue. Adding the pedals to the bottom and top of the cone will, I think, put the proper curves on it! I may not be able to play with it too much until the weekend (But you know I'm going to give this pedals strip a quick shot right now while I'm home for a bit). Alan, nnlee; I don't know about you, but this is fun. Maybe between a group of us, AdmRevrac (and the rest of us) may end up with a model!
George
Old 09-23-2016, 10:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 332.86 MB
Thanks for all the help guys. ViperPilots pics are also a great visual aid. I'm currently working with a program called Sweet Home 3D (turns blueprints into 3d models) and calling on all i can remember about my high school drafting class to try and come up with a replica floorplan. I'll try to put the results on here when i finish it.
By the way, since i (again) didn't take any pictures of the exibit at the museum, i downloaded this from the net. Hope it helps!
Attached Thumbnails
A little help, please, with an architectural model-tumblr_inline_mk0yllr6zc1qz4rgp.jpg  
Old 09-23-2016, 03:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 176.06 MB
I tried cutting out and taping together an 8- and a 16-petal version of the template.
Attached Thumbnails
A little help, please, with an architectural model-img_9142.jpg   A little help, please, with an architectural model-img_9144.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 09-23-2016, 04:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 93.62 MB
Alright. You guys are rockin' it! Viper's model came out closer to the goal than mine. Mine IS a corn bin. The other day I just quickly did a over-under type glue up of the pedal template to get an idea of what it might look like and came out with.... a rocket nozzle.
A little help, please, with an architectural model-9-23-2016b-004.jpg

AdmRevrac, Did you look on the Henry Ford site? I thought they had some interior shots there. Been a long week for me and I forgot to bookmark were I had seen them. Sorry about that.

nnlee, your 16 pedal design is getting the look of the curve! Defiantly gluing from the back side is the way to go. As I said, you guys are rockin' it. Maybe this weekend I might be able to contribute more than yackaty yack. You all have a Great Day! George
Old 09-23-2016, 04:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 115.91 MB
I can think of many Parts that could be made with nnlee's Examples, besides the Roof... the half round Bussard Collectors for the Enterprise's Warp Engines, perhaps?

Alan
Old 09-25-2016, 07:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 332.86 MB
Alan,
I thought about using Bussard collector domes, too, but what about the funky chimney on top of the house?

George,
No, I didn't think about the website. I'll look there next time i have have a few free minutes.