PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Requests

Old 09-17-2016, 05:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 332.86 MB
Arrow A little help, please, with an architectural model

I just got back from a day trip to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn,MI. Lots of interesting stuff that would be good models- especially the aircraft- but what caught my eye the most was a fully assembled Dymaxion House. This is where the gears started spinning...

I'd love to try my hand at putting together a kit of a Dymaxion House (since it's a round floorplan it should be a neat challenge). My problem is I'm absolutely lousy at designing paper models.

If someone wants to take on the challenge of the design phase, I'll gladly be a beta builder...

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2016, 06:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 93.62 MB
That does look interesting, Admrevrac. I remember a design study on these buildings when I took architectural classes. At one time, I had a few books on them, but they are long gone. I will not make any promises of a model, but I'll do some research see if I can come up with some workable ideas. With the domed top, I would think some of the aircraft designers would have more experience in how to develop a buildable model with those lovely curves!
And, I hope you enjoyed the trip to the Henry Ford. I want to get up there myself. A few years ago, we headed that direction for the weekend, but the youngest daughter developed a medical emergency and we didn't get any further than Indianapolis. You have a Great Day! George
Old 09-18-2016, 07:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Those Dymaxion Houses look a lot like yurts from the outside.

A little help, please, with an architectural model-dymaxion.jpg A little help, please, with an architectural model-yurt.jpg
Old 09-18-2016, 07:36 AM

If I remember correctly, Yurts were the inspiration for the design. That, and wanting to use the 'new' miracle metal of the time; aluminium for a 'space age ' look and, in theory, an economical solution to housing. If my memory hasn't completely clouded over, they were also to be 'prefab' in the factory and erected on the build site with a bare minimum of time. Still a very interesting design, to me anyway. But I'm getting old and nostalgic!
George
Old 09-19-2016, 11:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 332.86 MB
Actually, the Buckminster Fuller design only saw 2 prototypes built. They were purchased by one of the assistant designers, who proceeded to stack them up to make a house large enough for his family ( and then he added standard construction to handle space requirements). The Dymaxion house on display ad the Henry Ford uses parts from both of the prototypes.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 115.91 MB
Just by looking at the Photos, I'm envisioning something simple, like a round Cylinder with sawtooth Glue tabs on one side. Add a circular piece with a single cut to the Center so it'll shape into a slight Cone shape; there's your Roof.

I know... quick and dirty.

Alan
Old 09-19-2016, 01:35 PM

Alan, many times, quick and dirty works! AdmRevrac, have you seen the Dymaxion Deployment Quarters used in WWII? They were based on Fuller's Dymaxion Theory also. I think it was Butler Manfg. that made them. I beleive they were the company that was geared up to produce the houses after the war. Lot of debate of why it never happened (Bucky's and then everyone else's!). Anyway, I understand that there are still some of the 'corn bin' huts on an old base in New Jersey (at least in the late 1970's they were still there). I wish I still had those books and study notes. Several of them were written by Fuller himself for high school architectural classes in the late 60's and early 70's. OOPS! There I go, showing my age again!
George
Old 09-19-2016, 08:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
So all those Butler corn bins stuck all over were I grew up in Oklahoma were based off of the Dymaxion house concept? Being a fan of the unusual, ok weird, car have always wanted to do a model of the Dymaxion car.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:37 AM

Almost sounds like a lead-in to a joke on late night TV; 'Which came first, the corn bin or the house?'. Not sure of who influenced whom. But getting back to a model, I did play around a little yesterday in between jobs. Quick and dirty!..... and I came up with a model of a corn bin. Battery on the camera was low, so no pic. ViperPilot, have you played around with one? I think by slotting the edges of the roof and giving it a 'roll' before gluing might produce that curve that's needed. But, I'm kind of a conventional building dude. George
Old 09-20-2016, 08:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 115.91 MB
George,

I've been thinking about making a 'quick & dirty' Template of one... let me see what I can come up with, and I'll post it later on. Thanks for the tip about curling the 'roof' to get the right look!

Alan
Google Adsense