PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Requests

Old 12-19-2016, 01:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 319.26 MB
Has anyone considered Chris Foss' Dune designs?...

It occurred to me that some of those marvelous, insanely colorful Chris Foss designs from Jodorowsky's Dune project would make great models - like that iconic tiger-striped pirate ship. Here's a link for his artwork,

.chrisfossart.com/portfolio/dune/

and a look at a 3D modeled version of Duke Leto's Bike by John Hunter Barrie:

.stratacafe.com/image.asp?imageID=27008
Google Adsense
Old 12-20-2016, 09:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 12.68 MB
Looking through my copy of "Hardware:..." the organic look of so many of his designs would definitely be a challenge for paper, but by no means impossible (I'm sure the figure and animal modelers would attest to that).

I know there are people who have released versions of ships in artwork included in the terran trade authority books which feature cover art by Peter Elson, Angus McKie, and Chris Moore. Unlike film, particulaly those with physical effects, there is frequently only one view of the subject in art that makes interpreting scale, hidden areas, and to some extent even overall shape up to the modeler. Again, not impossible, just a challenge.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.59 MB
I have considered designing and building some of Chris Foss's works. Would be a nice challenge with the curves and surfaces he renders in his ship designs.
I am a big fan of 70's sci fi art. I owned a couple of those Terran Trade Authority books when I was younger.
I have one more character I want to make from vintage horror, then I may move back into vehicles again.
Really good idea, though.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
One thing is for sure, his color schemes would generally be far easier to print on paper than to mask and paint on a plastic model.
Old 12-25-2016, 04:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 319.26 MB
You're right, SWF, that would be a big challenge, although at least they wouldn't have to be 100% accurate. A lot of Chris' art for Dune was developed in design sketches and multiple views, so it would be possible to create a 3-D model for some of them.

Of course, as he was in the middle of his development process, not all the drawings match a single design.

It has to be unheard of, though, in the movie business: here's a director with about a tenth of his final budget to start his production - and he spent all of it on art, storyboards and so forth.
Google Adsense