PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Requests

Old 04-08-2017, 01:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 248.16 MB
NZSCo Rangis

Three ships of the New Zealand Steamship Company (NZSCo) all worthy of a model. All three could be built from one kit.

1/400 scale will mean a model of 422mm.

Nice looking twin funnel (forward funnel is a dummy hiding the radio shack) cargo/passenger ships.

RMS Rangitiki, RMS Rangitata and MV Rangitane.

Simple pronunciation,
I apologize to our Maori speakers but hey, they'll never get it anyway eh bro.
Rang-ee-tick-ee, Rang-ee-tar-tar and Rang-ee-tar-knee.

Built between the wars for the NZSCo and requisitioned for convoy duties during the war, the "Tane" was lost to the German raider Orion near NZ.

After the war both "Tiki" and the "Tata" were used for ferrying immigrants from Malta to Australia as well as returning soldiers then war brides to their respective destinations as.

In 1948 they were returned to the NZSCo and following refits completed nearly 100 voyages each carrying immigrants and cargo between the UK and NZ. Returning with frozen lamb and butter.

"Tiki" was the first motor ship to sail direct from UK to NZ, taking 5 weeks

"Tata" and "Tiki" were paid off and broken up in the early 60's.

Any ship designers reading this, you can Google "RMS Rangitiki" and see what you think. Pretty Ships.

I was a passenger on "Tiki"s final voyage.

Clive.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:41 AM

forgot photo.
Attached Thumbnails
NZSCo Rangis-434480978.jpg  
Old 04-08-2017, 06:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
To my eye, that is a really beautiful ship. For my personal aesthetic, ships built between the 1880s and the early 50s are most pleasing to the eye.

I appreciate hearing about the back story of the ships and your personal connection.

It occurs to me that this is the type of ship that Krzysztof Wagner (Krzychu74) and David Hathaway design.
https://www.ecardmodels.com/index.ph...anufacturer=29
https://www.papershipwright.co.uk/ca...ntmen/ferries/

Don
Old 04-08-2017, 01:21 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
I agree with Don. She really is a beautiful ship. I'd love to see a model of her. Thanks for the bio sketch too. Piqued my interest. I'll have to see if there's a wiki or something on them.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:14 PM

Your'e right Don, The "Rangi" ships look to be just the right subject matter for either of the designers you mentioned

I'm not wanting a model of the "Tiki" out of some sentimental feeling because I sailed on her, if that was the case I'd want to model the first bus or train I traveled on.

I want to build a model of the "Tiki" simply because she is a fine looking ship.

I so admire the vessels in old photos and film of ships queued up here in Hobart waiting to load apples back prior to 1970. They had such beautiful lines.

Although I was too young to have memories of my voyage from UV to NZ aboard the "Tiki" I do have a passenger and crew list along with several photos.

Two photos in particular are of interest, one depicts the canvas and rope pool that was jury rigged for the kids and the other shows the "crossing the line" ceremony with yours truly decked out in Hawaiian shirt and carrying a ukulele.
As was befitting back then, my face was covered in a dark colored substance as apparently I was meant a "Black and White Minstrel". Not so PC today.

If they are of any interest to anyone I'll endeavor to locate and upload them.

Click the links below as they provide a bit of interesting reading along with several photos.

History

RMS RANGITIKI

We need a model.... I know you are reading this Ben?

Clive.