PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Requests

Old 11-13-2017, 08:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickPink65 View Post
And they have the greatest flaw of several ship kits: Lack of full hull. Any ship model resting on top of a table or shelf looks silly showing only half the model. These replicas with no full hull are mainly designed for dioramas but not for mantel display.
"RICK"
Is that a personal opinion of yours, or a fact?

And who is the authority on naval modelling who says so? You?

If a modeler, any modeler, chooses to build waterline, let him be so.
He has his reasons, and if he's happy with the outcome, then it is perfect for him,
and that's what matters.

If a modeler, any modeler, chooses to build full hull, let him be so too.
He has his reasons, and if he's happy with the outcome, then it is perfect for him,
and that's what matters.

If you "RickPink65" are only happy building full hull ships, then go and build full hull.
If it is perfect for you then that's what matters.

I also have my strong opinions on how kits should be or should not be designed and/or built.
But what really matters is that the person who spends some time cutting and gluing, and most of all:
sharing their process with all of us, be happy with what they do. That's what matters above all things.

"RickPink65": What you seem to be missing about this forum in general is that the joy here in this thread
is in watching a young person, a 20yo who just arrived at our forum actually building something.

It doesn't matter a bit if the chosen kit lacks detail or not. What matters here
is that we are being witness to a new paper modeler starting in the hobby.
And doing it right: building, asking questions, wishing to go beyond.

Once WhiteStarLine gets some experience he will surely build more complex kits if he wishes so.
Or he may chose to leave the hobby. And that's fine too. What really matters is that he feels
happy with his decisions. (WhiteStar: I'm assuming you are male, if you are female or identify otherwise
please forgive my chauvinistic presumption).

This is a forum that allows people to show what they do in their free time in a hobby
they've chosen. The joy here is in learning and helping each other. We are not here to compete,
and we are certainly not a discussion group about how designers must design.
Any complain on how a kit is designed? Contact the author.
You don't like the way a modeler builds anything? Just let him/she be, or offer
real constructive tips on how to improve.

Instead of spreading your bitterness on other people's threads about the designing style
of some kits, (which you have made in quite a lot of occasions in the past, actually in
almost every thread you participate), you could be spending your time actually building something.
Illuminate us with facts, go build a ship full hull and show us how it must be done
so that we can all appreciate and praise your skills, and most of all: join your joy of building something
the way you want it to be. That's far more constructive than just saying every time
in every waterline building thread "ships must be full hull because waterline is silly".

Old 11-13-2017, 12:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.28 MB
Quote:
Both the Taschen and Rose Titanics are simplified and don't have much detail. Easier to build, of course. And they have the greatest flaw of several ship kits: Lack of full hull. Any ship model resting on top of a table or shelf looks silly showing only half the model. These replicas with no full hull are mainly designed for dioramas but not for mantel display. Why don't you check the fantastic Schreiber's Titanic, full hull and designed to operate by RC. Also check the Gomix Titanic. Both models are really works of art. They are even better than the plastic rendition by Minicraft.
Check this video and you will be hooked!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CNzycCxg9c

RICK
Silly? I'll have you know that my 1:200 Titanic is waterlined and looks absolutely splendid even without a diorama. The Taschen model is way off and I'll tell you why: The paper is too shiny, the bridge only has 7 windows vs the Rose model which has the full 9 and the windows look ridiculous. The lack of full hull is your own opinion, not everyone else's. Here's the thing about the Bogen model, it's flawed too. example: the way the stern forms looks horrid.
RMS Titanic 1:200
Old 11-13-2017, 04:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Both the Taschen and Rose Titanics are simplified and don't have much detail. Easier to build, of course. And they have the greatest flaw of several ship kits: Lack of full hull. Any ship model resting on top of a table or shelf looks silly showing only half the model. These replicas with no full hull are mainly designed for dioramas but not for mantel display. Why don't you check the fantastic Schreiber's Titanic, full hull and designed to operate by RC. Also check the Gomix Titanic. Both models are really works of art. They are even better than the plastic rendition by Minicraft.
Check this video and you will be hooked!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CNzycCxg9c

RICK
so using that arguement do ships look'''silly' at sea when their hulls are underwater.i use all my ship models on sea bases including the full hull ones that i build and cut them off at the waterline.each to their own.its not a case of which is better rather than which the modeler prefers
Old 11-13-2017, 04:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via MSN to Jerry V
The Taschen and Rose models might indeed be simplified models, but it also depends on what the modeler does with the kit. In my build I made several changes and added details. The images in my original build topic are gone because of the known 'photobucket problem' but here's an image of my Taschen Titanic;

I have indeed placed the model in a diorama;

Jerry
Previously build; R.M.S. Titanic, 1:200 scale
Currently building; S.S. Nomadic 1:250 scale
Old 11-13-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteStarLine View Post
Silly? I'll have you know that my 1:200 Titanic is waterlined and looks absolutely splendid even without a diorama. The Taschen model is way off and I'll tell you why: The paper is too shiny, the bridge only has 7 windows vs the Rose model which has the full 9 and the windows look ridiculous. The lack of full hull is your own opinion, not everyone else's. Here's the thing about the Bogen model, it's flawed too. example: the way the stern forms looks horrid.
have you ever checked out the maly version
Google Adsense
Old 11-13-2017, 04:46 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 136.87 MB
All of you nice guys are right, it is MY OPINION and I have the right to express it to you. Our country is still a free country and we can express our opinions here. If you don't agree, well, I'm sorry about this, but I still defend my views on waterline models. Just read them and express your thoughts. No need to be disrespectful or offended. It is nice to have the chance of reading other peoples views on modelling.

Rick
Old 11-13-2017, 04:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by herky View Post
so using that arguement do ships look'''silly' at sea when their hulls are underwater.i use all my ship models on sea bases including the full hull ones that i build and cut them off at the waterline.each to their own.its not a case of which is better rather than which the modeler prefers
You express it very clearly: "at sea" not on a shelf. That is why waterline ships or boats look better for dioramas. A sea diorama showing a full hull ship would be completely foolish. My opinion!!!!!!!!! Just don't be offended because I express my views.

Rick
Old 11-13-2017, 04:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteStarLine View Post
Yes, the Taschen model is not very accurate. It is simplified but it has the advantage of easier building, simpler than Maly, Schreiber or other complicated and very accurate renditions. "Bogen" you mean Schreiber? No doubt you are an expert on Titanic design. That's good because you can provide with information that you have investigated and shared with modelers. As with all different models made by different companies, there is always differences and it is almost impossible to find a really accurate version of a particular prototype. It also happens with plastic models.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:03 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Rick,

Also keep in mind, the Alan Rose kits and the Taschen kit were considered toys when they were released.
Yes, they were/are stylized representations of the real prototype, but toys nonetheless.

Anyone who builds any of the versions available, can enhance their version as much as they like, just like Jerry and WSL have done with their copies, because they probably consider their kits not toys but models.
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 11-13-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
Rick,

Also keep in mind, the Alan Rose kits and the Taschen kit were considered toys when they were released.
Yes, they were/are stylized representations of the real prototype, but toys nonetheless.

Anyone who builds any of the versions available, can enhance their version as much as they like, just like Jerry and WSL have done with their copies, because they probably consider their kits not toys but models.
tachschen is always availible in our local book shop at 25 dollars nz
Google Adsense