PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Requests

Old 12-08-2017, 02:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
I'm sorry...but you(Ruben) seem to have totally ignored this sentence:

This sentences supersedes and overwrites all the other sentences.
There is no ambiguity to discuss.
There is only the choice to read...or not to read.
No Dave. I didn't.
Actually in my answer I totally acknowledged the fact that when you used "you" it referred to that particular sentence.

However, when taken in isolation, the second paragraph suffers from that semantic ambiguity. Specially by people who desperately wishes the kit. The reader changes his mindset from "you=Clif52" to "You=readers" when the paragraph break is introduced. That's natural.

Is both a problem of people not reading the first sentence you mentioned and relating the "you" pronoun of the second paragraph to Clif, and the natural ambiguity of the English language in that particular pronoun that is the same for 2nd person singular and 2nd person plural.

It is a common problem in English language. Many people (writers and readers equally) make the same mistake frequently. That's why in some parts of the world people now tend to to avoid confusion by creating "you'all" "youse" and similar to distinguish between plural you and singular you. If English had different words for both pronouns, this wouldn't have happened

For you (Dave) the meaning you intended to convey was perfectly clear. As well as for some people who caught the direct relation between the noun of the first paragraph and the pronoun in the second.

But a writer has no control over what a reader interprets, or how they interpret it. If people focused only in the last paragraph, they understand it as an invitation to ask for the model. Ignoring (as you said) the context already established before. And I'm quite sure that's what happened.

In any case now it is more than clear that Clif's question resulted in Dave creating a nice model of an interesting car. And by the time being only Clif52 is able to build the working version of it, until Dave finally releases it.

I'd say that waiting a three weeks until release is really a short time.

I also guess people are wondering if the Prowler will be released in the original purple color besides the eye-catching yellow of the prototype.