PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Requests

Old 01-08-2018, 11:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 23.52 GB
Model Models

I know it may seem odd, but I would dearly love a model of my first R/C aircraft, the KeilKraft Super 60.

This model is iconic and must have set more people onto R/C than any other. A model of about 12" wingspan might even fly!
Liz
Old 01-08-2018, 01:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

And hi, sprogs. I was interested in your post for the simple reason that I didn’t know the type of R/C model you were writing about. So I looked it up, and I’m attaching a pair of images for others like myself who aren’t familiar with the Keil Kraft Super 60.

After seeing the model of the high-wing monoplane, and after looking at the pictures and plan, I thought I’d pass along an idea…I think you could scratch build your own paper model of the Super 60.

With so much of model designing being done on the computer these days, we tend to forget that a pen and paper can produce more than satisfactory results, even for the novice designer. Your Super 60 would be an excellent project for your first scratch build.

The attached plan gives you almost everything you’ll need to get started. The shape of the wings, fuselage and empennage are all there, and they seem to be rather square and easy to draw out. Just reduce or enlarge the parts of the plan to the size you need, and trace them onto your paper. The tricky bit would be the rounded section of the cowl, but the challenge could be met with a little perseverance. If it doesn’t come together, a slab-sided cowl would do for a first scratch build.

A heavier, smooth drawing paper would be a plus, but typing paper could be used as well. A ball point pen will serve, but for a finer line, I recommend a technical pen, available at hobby and craft stores. A .035 or .040 mm will give a good, solid line.

Many people have a scanner, copier, printer in their home these days, and this would be a big help for a budding designer. Scan and print out your images on stiff cardstock, and use these parts for your alpha build. When satisfied, then use some watercolor to add color to the project. If you use watercolor, scan the painted parts and build from the printouts. Of course, color can also be added directly on the computer.

I really recommend you try a scratch build of your Super 60, as creating a paper model from scratch, with your own hands, is a most rewarding experience.

Give it a go.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Model Models-keil-kraft-super-60-2.jpg   Model Models-keil-kraft-super-60.jpg  
Old 01-08-2018, 04:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.74 GB
mmmm me thinking
Old 01-08-2018, 04:30 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 36.49 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to bloomohio
Great idea,how about another the wood kit Berkeley air force sea rescue boat at 1/36 scale! I got one this year/last on ebay but being so rare i hate to build it and it was designed for RC! kit was sold first in 1957,how time flies!
Old 01-09-2018, 12:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 23.52 GB
super 60

Dear Thumb Dog
(Reminds me of my brother's nickname "Pedaldog")

Thank you so much for the encouragement, I WILL give it a go !
Please don't expect much, as for personal reasons I am finding building even the simplest of models almost impossible, but thanks to the help of Tim Crowe, who has stood by me through a difficult time I feel as if I am coming back at last.
There are some wonderful people on this forum and I consider myself lucky to have found it.

Have I got the right equipment though ?
Lemme see, compass, ruler, knife, eraser, pen, hamburger, beer....
Yep ! We're all set to go !
all the best
Liz
Old 01-09-2018, 01:16 PM

Hi All,

And hi, Sprogs. Thanks for your kind words, and I agree with you that this respectful corner of the internet is a place worth finding.

After thinking about your project a bit more, it occurred to me that you might want to cast around the internet and find a basic paper model of a similar airplane to your Super 60. Something like a Piper Cub comes to mind. A simple model of a Cub will give you some ideas as to where you should locate your tabs and other connecting points for your model.

As for your choice of equipment, add an "s" to that beer, and you're on your way.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Old 01-11-2018, 03:38 PM

Been thinking between coats of paint in the living room....
Could make it 13 inch span so its peanut scale
Model Models-capture.jpg
Old 01-11-2018, 09:44 PM

Hi All,

And hi, Gary Pilsworth. If you can build your wing with a Clark Y airfoil, you'll be ready to solo the Atlantic. The other way.

Best of luck.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Old 01-15-2018, 04:14 PM

Unfolded and textured
Model Models-capture2.jpg
13 inch wing span so it might fly if built from thin paper ie copier paper (80gsm) over here in England.....
Old 01-17-2018, 03:26 PM

Uploaded and awaiting the usual clearance