PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Requests

Old 02-17-2018, 06:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Ford Gum Ball DC-3

Dear Friends:
I went to a Historical society Luncheon Meeting today and the speaker was from the Ford Gum Ball company that had a plant in Lockport NY and is now in Akron NY going on 106 years making Gum Balls. What interested me was the fact that in 1945 They bought 2 surplus DC-3 painted them with a gumball machine logos and flew Gumballs all over the US. The historical museum has a photo of the Plane and the company has more pictures sure would make a neat repaint of one of the existing models. I did a quick search on line did not find any photos.
Hint, Hint,
Miles
if any one is also tickled I will go to the museum and post the picture here. Wife works there.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.67 GB
Here a photo I found

Old 02-17-2018, 07:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

And hi, Miles Linnabery. Here is another photo I found. Type in the tail number in Google, Yahoo, and Bing image sites and see if you can dig up some more photographs. Best of luck.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Gum Ball DC-3-dc-3-n18106.jpg  
Old 02-18-2018, 07:22 AM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Very cool paint scheme.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Neat! I would totally build one of those.
Live, Laff, Love...
Google Adsense
Old 02-18-2018, 08:41 AM

Dear Friends:
I always amazes me what is on the web if you known how to ask for the information. These were two of the three pictures of the planes the speaker had for his talk. I bet the company will have some samples of the logos used in color. I would be happy yo do the historical research if someone else would do the repaint.
Interesting,
Miles
Old 02-18-2018, 09:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Looking at cargo doors wouldn't that make it C-47 rather than DC-3?Interesting theme to do.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

And hi, Miles Linnabery. I’m attaching a few photographs in the hope they may answer a some questions about the color scheme on your DC-3. The final colors are of course up to you, these images are just what I came up with in an effort to help you with your most interesting project. I’ve always been a fan of the DC-3 and Ford gumballs, too.

And hi, Butelcznski. Yours is an interesting question. Early in the war, civilian DC-3s were press into service, and they were reclassified as C-47s. N18106 appears to be a purpose-built C-47 that has now been “civilized.” The grommet-hole windows have been replaced, and it appears the astrodome has been plated over. I think the answer to the plane’s identity will be found in the communications between the pilots and the tower. Now that the plane is in private hands and appears in mufti, I would guess that the aircrews and ground crews alike would most likely refer to it as a DC-3.

Whatever the case, I agree with you that Miles Linnabery’s project is quite interesting indeed.

And hi, dwyaneward. Your photo of the gumball men on the ramp show them standing strong against a fierce breeze...or prop wash. Just look at those pants blowing against those spindly legs!

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Gum Ball DC-3-ford-gumball-machine.jpg   Ford Gum Ball DC-3-ford-gumball-2.jpg   Ford Gum Ball DC-3-ford-gumball-3.jpg  
Old 02-18-2018, 11:53 AM

The two Planes were bought surplus from the Army in 1945 so would they revert back to being called a DC-3 or call them an Ex C-47's They mostly hauled big boxes of Gum Balls and took Executives and their wives on trips. The first photo shows the owner Ford Mason and his top executives photo was nicknamed gumball mafia.
Enjoy,
Miles
Old 02-18-2018, 11:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.02 GB
I think that all C-47s that were in civil hands reverted back to DC-3 designations since there were still C-47 aircraft still in operation with the military until well into the sixties or seventies.
Google Adsense