PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Requests

Old 04-14-2018, 03:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 42.95 MB
Send a message via AIM to imatt88 Send a message via MSN to imatt88 Send a message via Yahoo to imatt88
1/33 P6 catapault

Hey all,

I'm just throwing this idea into the ring...

I have a HKH 32nd Vought Kingfisher and I would love to mount it on a catapault similar to the ones on WWII US Navy ships..

The only ones I can find are made by Shapeways (1/32) and Lone Star Models (resin, 1/48) and both are $175 +...

What would it take to have someone produce a cardboard/paper model of one?

Can it be done, and how much would it cost?

Cheers, Ian
Google Adsense
Old 04-14-2018, 04:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Ian:
Cheaper but still money go to DigitalNavy and they have the Arizona battleship in 1/200 scale with catapult for $36.00 you would have to put the parts you need on fresh sheet and blow it up to get to 1/32 scale. the other plus is you will also have a great paper ship model
Enjoy,
Miles
Old 04-14-2018, 04:39 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
That's a great idea Miles!
Old 04-14-2018, 04:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to imatt88 Send a message via MSN to imatt88 Send a message via Yahoo to imatt88
That is a great Idea! I never thought of that

Thanks
Old 04-14-2018, 04:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I'm on thin, purist ice with this suggestion....but what the hell. There is a i/33 scale paper/card model of an IJN catapult that comes with GPM's F1M1 Pete...and it's also available separately. Yes, there is a very slight scale difference but I think a 1/32 Kingfisher could be massaged thereon. If not, the GPM item could be re-printed and scaled up by any half-conscious Kinko/FedEx/UPS Store tech. Yes, there are detail differences between it and an equivalent USN item, but nothing that a competent modeler can't modify, finagle, or live with by a little squinting. Or, your scaled-up reprint could be transferred to plastic sheet. Something to consider if the completed paper model turns out to be too week to support your assembled plastic Kingfisher.

OR, you could just build the 1/33 Orlik OS2U paper kit. Regardless, I think, pricewise, any paper model option would come in well below the cost of the HKH kit. Check it out and good luck....
Google Adsense
Old 04-14-2018, 04:54 PM

delta,

That is a great idea, where can I find both the Pete and the catapault?

I'm new at this medium, and I still have a lot to learn,

Cheers, Ian
Old 04-14-2018, 05:16 PM

Simple but large question. Here's a wimpy answer: Google GPM F1M1 Pete, kit# 279, and Orlik OS2U Kingfisher kit# 31, for starters. Be prepared to step back. You'll get all sorts of info. I quit plastic models 20 years ago and you are on the cusp of a new, yet very old, branch of scale modeling. No paints, no solvents, no shelving taking up an entire wall in the garage, only a filing cabinet.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Welcome Ian.

deltapike - The Orlik OS2U looks like an excellent kit, but I do not see a catapult in the display of parts at this site https://www.super-hobby.com/products...ingfisher.html or in the images of the kit at the Orllik site: https://orlik-models.pl/nr-31-ameryk...2u-kingfisher/ Is there a catapult in the kit?

Don
Old 04-14-2018, 05:33 PM

I was suggesting the GPM Pete cat be used with the Orlik Kingfisher. Sorry for the confusion. My comm skills are steam-powered....
Old 04-14-2018, 05:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Understand. Thanks.

I think Miles's suggestion to build the little Digital Navy OS2U and catapult first and then go to the Orlik OS2U (which looks really good) and a modified IJN catapult that comes with the F1M1 kit. The Pete makes up into a very nice model, as well, judging from the ones posted in the Forum by those who have built it.

Don
Google Adsense