PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Requests

Old 06-18-2018, 10:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 23.51 GB
Kites

Greetings all !
I'm sure this must seem absurdly simple to most of you. but I remember once having a book which had designs for three paper kites. each made from one a4 sheet.
I have always had a love of kites and the beautiful designs are breathtaking, would it be worthwhile starting a thread on paper kites ?
Bring out the inner artist and sculptor.
Liz
Old 06-18-2018, 10:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Ooooh,yes please. I've always been fascinated by kites, and although they don't get flown very often now, I do have a few. The bestist one is a Chinese built life size eagle that I bought off eBay a few years back now. Last time I flew it from my back garden quite a few cars on the A5 stopped to watch. We do get the odd small Osprey here but not the bigger eagles. It is quite realistic, but regrettably not aerobatic as designed. I do hope to rectify this though.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:43 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Yup - kites are of interest to me as well. I have around 30, from twin line aerobatic foils, through stacks to single line kites.

Funnily enough it is the single line kites I enjoy the most though.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
Kites on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kite
Old 06-18-2018, 09:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
These folks might be good ones to ask. Mmm, ya know what, just remembered that I don't remember when I last renewed my membership, oops!
American Kitefliers Association (AKA)

Quote:
Founded in 1964 by the late Robert M. Ingraham of New Mexico, the American Kitefliers Association (AKA) has thousands of members in 25 countries, making it the largest association of kite fliers and kite clubs in the world. Our purpose is to educate the public in the art, history, technology, and practice of building and flying kites - to advance the joys and values of kiting in all nations.

We strive to promote public awareness of the pleasures and educational opportunities that kites provide. They can remind us about how we interact with our environment and each other. Kites can be a source of community building, breaking down barriers that typically prevent us from interacting. No words are needed to fly a kite!
Google Adsense
Old 06-19-2018, 05:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 77.46 MB
Kites

I would be interested in a thread on kites. My dozen or so kites are all single line and covered with mostly tissue paper. The designs are Bermuda, Guatemala, Chinese, Vietnam and my current project, tetrahedral made with soda straws and tissue. I do use traditional bamboo for the spines acquired from bamboo rakes. It will be interesting to see where this thread goes. John
Old 06-19-2018, 12:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
One of the projects in my first upper division graphics class was to design and build a kite. Over the semester we had different related projects such as put together a proposal book on it. Our final for the class was we all met down by the Huntington Beach Pier and attempted to fly them.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Kites have always been fun. Go fly a kite was more of a invitation for having a good time.
For a while a few years ago I got into the habit of collecting kites. I would see a new kite to me that had a intricate shape and would have to buy it to see how it flew. Most of them were very nice in flight. All of them, though, have been given away over the years so their ultimate fate is unknown.
A few kites were built from plans found in books or online.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
I've been working on a F-15 look-a-like kite. Bought a F-18 kite last year that is Dacron covering with carbon fiber spars/supports.

Been designing a similar kite using paper and carbon fiber, long ways to go, but should have a working model by next spring. Long, dark winters here leave lots of time for designing...

Mike
Old 06-20-2018, 11:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 23.51 GB
aircraft lookalike kites are always good. I have a six foot Fokker triplane and a 12 foot Cody "man-lifter", great for aerial photography.
Here at the Morecambe kite festival I have seen self supporting "sparless" kites in the shape of everything from whales to elephants.
The most amazing one I've seen though was made by an elderly Japanese gentleman who flew the fingernail size kite from a human hair using the thermals from the heat of his hand.
Liz