PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Requests

Old 08-07-2018, 03:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 53.52 MB
O / HO Scale ~1850's coal/steam train

I apologize if this is the wrong area, it has been a really long time since I've posted here. I have in mind a project for a tabletop mini game I'm getting into (Malifaux), and I have been so far unsuccessful in finding an operating online store that has something similar to what I have in mind. I could just design it myself, but the effort may not be worth the reward unless there are no available options.

What I would want is in O scale range (1:48 or so), but I'm content with HO scale (1:87) so long as the files are not locked against rescale and layout. I'm not a train aficionado so I apologize if I am getting era's incorrect, but I'm looking for something around the American civil war era or later coal/steam powered. Nothing too modern. I looked at the Downloads section here but could not find anything close to what I had in mind. I'd prefer a fairly detailed model (mid-high skill), but in the end my options may be limited.

If someone has a created similar model, or knows of a store that sells such, I'd appreciate the advice or directions. Bonus points if there are good paper tracks available.

I could of course just try to find a used O scale train set, but even those are prohibitively expensive for my use.

Thank you,
Tirick
Google Adsense
Old 08-07-2018, 04:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Not sure how detailed you want to go.

Nursing Home Display Sept/Oct

The Kaukapedia trains are the nicer ones (but need a bit of detailing). Also out on the internet is a Pullman that I have done a couple versions of ( a baggage car, and Lincoln's Funeral Car). There are several folks that have tracks over at RPGNow, etc.

And then there is also the Ravensblight train that could be worked with.

The Kaukapedia trains would probably be one of the better places to start, Bastelbogen: Oldtimer-Lokomotive – Kaukapedia
Old 08-07-2018, 04:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Well, a Google search on "steam locomotive paper model" turned up some very nice images of models that were available at one time (and mostly from Japanese sites), but they all seem to have gone away. Pity, because some of them were beautiful. And so close to the Civil War-era look you wanted that had they not been describes as Japanese prototypes, I would have thought they were American in design.

If I find anything, I'll let you know.

Good luck!
Old 08-07-2018, 07:09 PM

The Kaukapedia look great, I might try one and see how it looks. sgoti, that was my feeling exactly. Lots of great pictures that lead nowhere or were not translatable.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:19 PM

I'd recommend mirror printing on the back to get rid of all the whiteness, then you can figure out how you would like to dress them up a bit. Like I took a photo of a boiler from an old coal train and put inside and made benches in the cab. But mine really weren't done for close inspection
Google Adsense
Old 08-08-2018, 03:18 AM

I found something perfect at Kartonbau, which I stumbled into from Papermau. Made an account and now I just need to translate 5 pages of German instructions...

PAPERMAU: German Locomotive P6 Paper Model - by Albrecht Pirling - via Kartonbau.De

Edit: Addendum
Searching for the model designer took me full circle back to a post from 2011 here: New sources for Albrecht Pirling 1:38 free download railway models

The models there are perfect for my needs.

Last edited by Tirick; 08-08-2018 at 03:54 AM.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:47 AM

Probably have to do a little alteration to make them look ACW-looking
Old 08-08-2018, 07:48 AM

It is a little more modern, but the era is post CW Steampunk so should be good as is. In all honestly, I'm not sure the audience will notice or care about the distinction.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:16 AM

I think that one definitely has a more steampunkish feel. 1/38 may be a bit large, but it's easier to reduce than enlarge