PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Requests

Old 12-18-2018, 08:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
I was able to cut out and assemble the P-51 glider in about half an hour. Since I am an extremely slow builder I think that it will be perfect for what Miles wants to do at the museum. Congratulations on a brilliant design!

As for flying...., well I played around with it for more than an hour to get it to fly. But fly it did! It did take a few extra things to make it work well. I kept adding paper clips to the nose which caused the wings to fold up in flight. So I added a couple of wing fillets to prevent that from happening. I did not have a really heavy paper clip and found that adding more than one clip at a time to be tedious. So I switched the nose weight to modeling clay. I found that a ball of clay slightly less than 1/2" diameter (about the size of a large pea) worked really well when flattened and wrapped around the nose. I tried to get a weight for the modeling clay, but since it was less than a full gram it did not register on our kitchen scale.

I don't think that Dave should change anything about his design because it works so well for its intended purpose. This information might be useful to Miles if he wants to use it for the students that want to throw the models around.

Of course anyone who enjoys easy, flyable models might also take advantage of this information.

Curt
Attached Thumbnails
Easy Tuskegee Airman Plane-007.jpg  
Old 12-19-2018, 11:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashevilleangler View Post
... So I added a couple of wing fillets to prevent that from happening.

Curt
I have taken your idea!
I have added a small wing root fairing extension (to the upper wing surfaces).
You can cut it off...OR, you can score it, fold it upwards and glue it to the fuselage
to help lock the wing position.

I just finished a P47 Glider, and the wings seemed a bit heavier.
In fact, they drooped when I tried to fly the model.
So, I added the little root part to strengthen the wing connection.

It worked! so I added it to the Mustang model too!
Attached Thumbnails
Easy Tuskegee Airman Plane-p47-glider-detail.jpg  
Old 12-19-2018, 11:49 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Dave, those are looking like a very nice series

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 12-23-2018, 11:15 PM

Dave,

I just now noticed your post where you added the wing fairing extensions. That looks just about perfect to me. Now if I could just figure out an attractive way to make the nose about 1 gram heavier than it is now. While the modeling clay works well, it just doesn't look good. It could be as simple as adding more card layers to front of the model like the old White Wings flyers. Those things flew amazingly well.

Curt
Old 12-24-2018, 08:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashevilleangler View Post
Dave,

I just now noticed your post where you added the wing fairing extensions. That looks just about perfect to me. Now if I could just figure out an attractive way to make the nose about 1 gram heavier than it is now. While the modeling clay works well, it just doesn't look good. It could be as simple as adding more card layers to front of the model like the old White Wings flyers. Those things flew amazingly well.

Curt
I was wondering about that. Some of the old gliders either had a sandwiched blank piece in between the faces at the front or separate nose pieces to glue to the outside
Google Adsense
Old 12-24-2018, 10:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
For models to be built by young people without previous modeling experience, I think there is no alternative to modeling clay.

For models you build yourself, cut a rectangular section from the nose, insert a small piece of sheet lead of the appropriate weight, and laminate extra nose pieces on either side. That's the best approach to appearance fly-ability that I ever found when I was building and flying such gliders.

Don
Old 12-24-2018, 07:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I'll agree, the clay sounds like a quick and easy method to add some weight.
Plasticine would work too...if you can still get plasticene?

I'm having good luck with paper clips.
Can't get much simpler than that.

You could also use staples (from a stapler).
Add them, one at a time, until the plane is balanced in flight.
If you plan ahead, you could position and line them up nicely,
and theres plenty of room to add many (as needed).

I'm adding the extra wing root part to all the kits now...
except the Tutor jet.
I have decided to add a separate part, that is installed on top of the wing (to the fuselage).
There is enough room on this particular model sheet, and it works really well.
Its a little bigger, and cuts out easily.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Mr. Conk
For history buffs and as an aside to the original question, about ten years ago I ate at 'chicken 'n waffle' restaurant near the Phoenix Airport. One small wall was autographed by the Tuskegee Airmen. I hope the restaurant is still in business.

Was that Mrs. White's Golden Rule or LoLo's (which is ran by Mrs. White grandson)? Anyway they're both going. There are so many autographs and signed photos in Mrs. White's don't remember seeing the Airmen's, but been years since I've been there.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
For models you build yourself, cut a rectangular section from the nose, insert a small piece of sheet lead of the appropriate weight, and laminate extra nose pieces on either side. That's the best approach to appearance fly-ability that I ever found when I was building and flying such gliders.
Don, I like that idea, and just might try it. I have some lead tape that I've been wanting to find a use for. This just might be it.

Quote:
I'll agree, the clay sounds like a quick and easy method to add some weight.
Plasticine would work too...if you can still get plasticine?
Dave, I just looked online and indeed plasticine and plasticine clones are available.

Curt
Old 01-11-2019, 12:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Friends:
Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread and to AirDave who brought the idea to life. Anyone is invited to the History Center of Niagara, 215 Niagara Street. Lockport, NY 14094. Free to public Feb. 19th 2919 at 5:30pm is going to be the Family Night at the Museum. It starts with small dinner of Pizza and carrots and veggie dip. then a historical talk on Tuskegee Airmen and ends with a craft project this time it will be the easy glider that AirDave designed. If you can come please call a few days ahead 716-434-7433 so the staff knows how much pizza to order. I will post pictures after the event for the sake of history.
Enjoy,
Miles