PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Requests

Old 12-10-2018, 11:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Easy Tuskegee Airman Plane

Dear Friends:
My wife works at a museum and she just asked if there are any easy papermodels of a Tuskegee airman "Plane" that could be made by school kids in about an hour? AirDaves wonderful ones are way to much in build time. I can't tell from the Fiddlers green site if John Dell did one in the P-51 collection or not. Is there any of the 2.5d models in the correct livery?
Thanks
Miles
Old 12-10-2018, 12:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 287.89 MB
Just went through my FG files and after downloading all of the files for the P-51 collection there does appear to be a Tuskegee livery model if you download the 'Duchess' file from the P-51 collection...
Old 12-10-2018, 01:50 PM

Dear Gman:
Now I have to go through my stash of floppy disks to find the stash of FG models. However the museum education group wants something simpler. I found the following Glider on a radio Control site. This should be able to cutout glue with glue sticks and fly all within 20 minuets. Now will some one Help out with a repaint in time for February children's program?
Thanks
Miles
Attached Thumbnails
Easy Tuskegee Airman Plane-p51-glider.jpg  
Old 12-10-2018, 11:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Miles, do you have permission to use this particular artwork?
Sorry to be such a downer, but you can't just use and repaint someone's artwork without direct approval for this project.

The design could be redrawn and modified so as not to be a direct copy.
But that will take a little more effort.

In fact I have already experimented with some glider models like this
...I've already done a Mustang and a Tutor jet.
Unfortunately I ran into a problem with cardstock weight and thickness.
The assembled plane was too flimsy and I shelved the work.

It really needs to glued to heavier card (which makes it too thick to cut easily)
or some thin foam material (harder to find materials, and extra construction steps).

An accurate wing slot was also a problem since it couldn't be easily or cleanly cut with basic scissors.
It required something sharper and more dangerous ...a knife? (presenting a problem for children).

Anyway, I will tackle another Glider similar to this design in the New Year.
A red tailed Mustang would definitely be a first option.
If you can wait that long, and still haven't found anything else, I'll send you something.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:41 AM

Dear AirDave:
I had wondered about that problem also was thinking about getting out the light table printing on thin paper finding the old drafting stuff and tracing a plain copy with out color to allow students to color and put markings on it. But with just 20 min. for the craft, having a pre-colored one would be better.
The Family nights at the museum are the first Tuesdays and this one is for February. so we do have some lead time. I was thinking that printing on 110# card stock and using glue sticks they should be able to complete it. The museum nights generally have about 30 people attend. The Museum also has a color copier that will handle cardstock. I did note that there were two pilots from Western New York One in Buffalo and one in Rochester.
Thanks Dave
Miles
Old 12-13-2018, 07:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Just popping in with my 2 cents. I think that the wing slots could be eliminated by changing the design to be more like the Wheaties Flyers. The wings could be attached without a wing slot by using simple folded fillets. The slot in the fuselage for the horizontal stabilizer could be opened to the back so the stab can be inserted from the back and "captured" by the rudder which is also slotted. With a nice wing dihedral, proper incidence between wing and tailplane, and a small paperclip on the nose the glider has a good chance of flying fairly well.

That being said, the 20 minute time limit is pretty tight for cutting, pasting and flying. Even stick glues need some time to set up. If a reasonable fold-n-fly model from printer paper could be designed it might fit the museum event parameters better. I just don't know how to design a fold-up glider that would look like a P-51.

Curt
Attached Thumbnails
Easy Tuskegee Airman Plane-wheaties-flyer.jpg  
Old 12-13-2018, 08:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.16 MB
https://youtu.be/L3j6l4CFKjk

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144638.../shares/69mkQ2

Simple paper P51 with rubber motor.

But it flies better without the prop, too much torque.

And it's free, just donate.

Scroll down a little and click on "more".

There are quite a few models available.

Last edited by rickstef; 12-13-2018 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashevilleangler View Post
Just popping in with my 2 cents. I think that the wing slots could be eliminated by changing the design to be more like the Wheaties Flyers. The wings could be attached without a wing slot by using simple folded fillets. The slot in the fuselage for the horizontal stabilizer could be opened to the back so the stab can be inserted from the back and "captured" by the rudder which is also slotted. With a nice wing dihedral, proper incidence between wing and tailplane, and a small paperclip on the nose the glider has a good chance of flying fairly well.

That being said, the 20 minute time limit is pretty tight for cutting, pasting and flying. Even stick glues need some time to set up. If a reasonable fold-n-fly model from printer paper could be designed it might fit the museum event parameters better. I just don't know how to design a fold-up glider that would look like a P-51.

Curt
I like these ideas...
I have a P51 Glider already done...but I'm going to try modifying it with these ideas.
Might make for a quicker build.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Dave, I glad that you like these ideas. I don't design and haven't built much lately, so it's nice to contribute in other ways.

Curt
Old 12-13-2018, 10:18 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
instead of glue, how about either double sided tape, or single sided tape?
will be faster, and we could develop the proper location for the pieces of tape for proper flight
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense