PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Requests

Old 04-12-2020, 11:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 460.83 MB
Möbelwagen, or Ostwind Flakpanzers?

I recently found a model Wirbelwind Flakpanzer and realized that it could maybe be used as a baser for the other 2 Pzkfw 4 based flakpanzers, it seems to be somewhere around 1/100 scale and I would like them to be around the same size. Since they are open top I do want a basic shape for the gun mounts on them in their turret.

P.S
Is there anybody who would be willing to maybe assist me to maybe learn to design them myself?
Old 04-12-2020, 05:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.86 MB
Paper Tiger Armaments has both in 1/72 scale and probably can be reduced down to 1/100th scale. Looks like these models you want to make will be about 1/4" or more in length.

I'm working on converting an old Pz IV tank pattern from Japan to a Hummel SPG. I need to test out my Auto CAD drawn parts to see if my upper panels and howitzer fit.
PTA has a Hummel also, but since I had a Pz IV already, why not do what was done historically.

Jeff
Old 04-12-2020, 07:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubting Thomas View Post
I'm working on converting an old Pz IV tank pattern from Japan to a Hummel SPG. I need to test out my Auto CAD drawn parts to see if my upper panels and howitzer fit.
PTA has a Hummel also, but since I had a Pz IV already, why not do what was done historically.

Jeff
I think you'll find the Hummel's hull is a little different from a Panzer IV. The Hummel and Nashorn were built on a Panzer III/IV chassis where bits of the Panzer III & IV were combined into a new hull. Certainly the drive sprocket on the Hummel is a Panzer III sprocket.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 04-12-2020, 08:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 699.34 MB
Do you need the entire vehicle or only the turrets? Also the Wirbelwind turret and the Ostwind turret are different from each other; see attachments. The Kugelblitz is very different from the first two.

Designing these will be easier with a good CAD/design program. If you have one, post it here and maybe one of our designers who works with it can walk you through the design process for that software. Every CAD/design program is different, with its own quirks and tools.

Wayne
Attached Thumbnails
-flakpanzer-iv-wirbelwind-3.jpg   -flakpanzer-iv-ostwind-2.jpg  
Old 04-13-2020, 08:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.86 MB
I stand corrected by my elders. Checked my reference photo.

Getting the interiors of the AAA vehicles will be quite a challenge in paper.

Which is why the old ESCI plastic models simplified them for their models.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
-hummel06-c11eac331aefe0afeeda38389d16e68b.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 04-13-2020, 12:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 460.83 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemac View Post
Do you need the entire vehicle or only the turrets? Also the Wirbelwind turret and the Ostwind turret are different from each other; see attachments. The Kugelblitz is very different from the first two.

Wayne
I know that the Wirbelwind and Ostwind Turrets are different. I actually did some research about them to see how viable some of the ideas that I had were and I actually scrapped one involving a modification to the turret of the Wirbelwind that I have. But since the Mobelwagen and Ostwind have the same gun in them, that being the 3.7 cm Flak 43, and the same chassis I thought that they could use the same base. I do however, have a Pzkfw IV that could be a better base, than My Wirbelwind because it is in exact scale, and the hull is in separate pieces, there, being able to more easily make a new upper hull for the Mobelwagen.