PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Requests

Old 04-23-2020, 02:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 87.70 MB
Landing Craft Support Large: LCS(L)(3)

One model I've thought would be a nice, potentially simple but cool little ship to have available to model is the LCS(L)(3) Landing Support craft. Also known as Mighty Midgets.

I know that semi recently, one of the only ones let in existence was transported back to the United States and is now a museum in California.

I currently cannot link any of the limited resources I've found but there are a few basic side and top views.

Just throwing it out there. Some build threads suggest there are a few members here that seem to have design skills and an interest in coastal/landing forces.

Thank you for your consideration.
Google Adsense
Old 04-23-2020, 03:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 660.49 MB
I will second that thought! Having some of the various support vessels could lead to interesting dioramas. I am holding out for the LSM and LST types....someday, maybe...
Old 04-23-2020, 07:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 13.06 MB
The larger the landing craft, the less likely it is to be designed. There is a minimal need/want for some things. That's a gun-boat.
Old 05-01-2020, 09:17 AM

I am not sure why a larger landing craft would be less likely? Its hull is similar to a LCI(L) from what I've read and for war games and dioramas, having support craft for an assault seems like a desirable thing?

Some links.
Museum: The Landing Craft Support Museum
Association: index.htm (also has lots of links and book suggestions)

While trying to find drawings, I found this article discussing how they were developed.
https://erenow.net/ww/american-amphi...-pacific/2.php

The best 3 side view I have found thus far.
The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia: LCS Class, Allied Landing Craft

Seem to be in a game now!
https://warthunder.com/en/news/5584-...ghty-midget-en

A 3D model to look at:
https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/land...d124655affdfc6

A 3D printed model.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/3D...li=marketplace

All these various models make it seem there must be more drawings out there somewhere.
Old 05-01-2020, 06:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
All good resources. There is also the Osprey book: https://ospreypublishing.com/landing...d-fire-support

Don
Author of Over the Beach: U.S. Army Amphibious Operations in the Korean War, Leavenworth, KS: Combat Studies Institute Press, 2008, available at https://www.armyupress.army.mil/Port...ooks/boose.pdf
Google Adsense
Old 05-29-2020, 09:44 PM

Thank you for sharing those additional resources Don!

Looks like there is not as much interest as I'd thought given that there seems to be a couple designers/modelers here doing coastal/small warships. I did note that at least one designer here offers commission builds. I might contact him at some point. It is an interesting, not well known little class of ships.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
Wip

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJ View Post
One model I've thought would be a nice, potentially simple but cool little ship to have available to model is the LCS(L)(3) Landing Support craft. Also known as Mighty Midgets.

I know that semi recently, one of the only ones let in existence was transported back to the United States and is now a museum in California.

I currently cannot link any of the limited resources I've found but there are a few basic side and top views.

Just throwing it out there. Some build threads suggest there are a few members here that seem to have design skills and an interest in coastal/landing forces.

Thank you for your consideration.
Still a work in progress and it is going to be simple and generic as my designs of the torpedo boats.
Narrow seas, archipelagos, and coastal operations

This has been waiting in my shelf (electronic files) for a long time:
Attached Thumbnails
Landing Craft Support Large: LCS(L)(3)-pict2489.jpg   Landing Craft Support Large: LCS(L)(3)-pict2490.jpg  

Last edited by wireandpaper; 05-30-2020 at 12:33 AM.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:26 AM

Oh sweet! You were one of the designers I thought might be interested but wasn't sure if it was polite to PM you the idea.

I like simple and generic. I am glad someone is working on it!
Old 05-31-2020, 12:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
Just don't hold your breath. This quarantine promised hours of free time, but not for me.
I still have to work from home, supervise girls school work, and more time for my wife to identify honey does!
When I finish you may invite me a beer or lunch
Old 05-31-2020, 11:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This has become a most interesting thread.

Pablo - I look forward to your continued work on the LCS(L) - with perhaps both versions of the LCI(L) to follow - however long it may take, given your other varied interests and responsibilities.

CaptJ - I hope that you will eventually build this model - and perhaps other amphibious ships and craft.

Incidentally, another excellent source for information on the LCS(L) and the LCI(L) family is Norman Friedman, U.S. Amphibious Ships and Craft: An Illustrated Design History, Annapolis: Naval Institute Press, 2002. It is, regrettably, out of print, no longer available from the USNI Press, and very expensive as a used book (https://www.amazon.com/U-S-Amphibiou.../dp/1557502501).

Don
Google Adsense

Tags
coastal, landing, lcs(l)(3), pacific, support