PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Requests

Old 05-20-2020, 09:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.01 MB
Airdave, thanks for the offer and for communicating with Ken; look forward to hearing what he has to say.

Also, my knowledge of the X-15 and it's surrounding history are a little lacking as well, so these resources are incredibly useful, thanks all!
Old 05-20-2020, 09:46 AM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
I happen to have the Tony Landis Hypersonic book , and the rare X15 Photoscrapbook, with contains a few more pics of the white X15 , if somebody needs them, I'll scan them for personal use
Old 05-20-2020, 10:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.91 GB
If this project was to get off the ground would it be too much to think about a Delta Wing version?
Attached Thumbnails
A white X-15A-2, anyone?-x-15a-3-model-2.jpg   A white X-15A-2, anyone?-samples_001.jpg   A white X-15A-2, anyone?-flight_007.jpg   A white X-15A-2, anyone?-exterior_0103.jpg  
Old 05-20-2020, 10:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I have spoken to Ken and got his permissions to build a new retail kit based on his model...
the X-15-A2 with the ablative heat shield coating as it set the speed and altitude records.

I'm not going to modify the chassis, so hopefully Ken's existing kit is close to the right dimensions?
Does anyone know for sure if Ken's 66671 is X-15-2 or the longer A2? I guess I can ask Ken.

But there are a few mods I will have to add...like the closed and portalled cockpit windows.

Basically I just have to collect as many photos as I can to get the finish and markings correct.
And I'll refinish the external tanks and include them in the kit.

Right now I am doing some reading, trying to familiarize myself a bit better with X-15 history and specs.
Boy there is a lot to read!
Old 05-20-2020, 11:43 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
I don't believe a delta wing version really existed. So I would vote
No.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Google Adsense
Old 05-20-2020, 12:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.91 GB
You're right the Delta Wing version did not exist. The design did get as far as a few wind tunnel versions. The project moved on, and money went to other projects.

I just thought it would make a great what-if model. The Delta Wing version of the X-15 is the one all use X-15 fans wished had gotten built.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
I have spoken to Ken and got his permissions to build a new retail kit based on his model...
the X-15-A2 with the ablative heat shield coating as it set the speed and altitude records.

I'm not going to modify the chassis, so hopefully Ken's existing kit is close to the right dimensions?
Does anyone know for sure if Ken's 66671 is X-15-2 or the longer A2? I guess I can ask Ken.

But there are a few mods I will have to add...like the closed and portalled cockpit windows.

Basically I just have to collect as many photos as I can to get the finish and markings correct.
And I'll refinish the external tanks and include them in the kit.

Right now I am doing some reading, trying to familiarize myself a bit better with X-15 history and specs.
Boy there is a lot to read!

Ken's model is the X-15A-2, which is the stretched version. To turn his model into the speed-record version, it just needs to be repainted white and new markings applied. Same vehicle, different paint scheme.

The white vehicle did, however, have a blunt ventral stabilizer, for installation of a ramjet that never flew (although a mockup did) and it also included a shuttered cockpit window on the port side.

Ken went to great care to replicate the X-15A-2's surface detail, but the MA-25S ablative coat (which was pink) and the white paint that covered it would obscure pretty much all the detail.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:18 PM

This may provide some insight: https://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazi...ff_eng_x15.htm
Old 05-20-2020, 01:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 968.01 MB
The shuttered cockpit would have required the installation of a downward facing periscope also, (like the dynasoar design). I spoke with Pete Knight long ago and he gave me that insight he remembered from a brainstorming meeting. Just a little bit of trivia for the design if you are doing a what-if.

RIP Pete!
Old 05-20-2020, 02:25 PM

Leave it to the Dukester to namedrop.... Not sure the X-15A-2 had a periscope but if someone can show me research that it did, I'll gladly stand corrected. The starboard cockpit window was left uncovered by the ablative coating and paint, and was used until the window was obscured by the charred paint/ablator.

When heating loads decreased, the eyelid on the port side was opened and that is what was used for landing.
Google Adsense