PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Requests

Old 05-20-2020, 09:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Photo of Max Speed Run X-15

Here is a scan showing the white a-2 on its maximum speed run, just before launch.
A white X-15A-2, anyone?-x-15-.jpg

Mike
Old 05-20-2020, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanners View Post
The Dennis Jenkins/Tony Landis book "Hypersonic" is perhaps the deepest dive on the X-15, and it is crammed with photos and diagrams. I have a copy, but it is in storage back in the U.S.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/hyp...ins/1009006219
Just bought a used hard cover on amazon. Thank you for naming it, always ready to read more on the X-15.

Mike
Old 05-21-2020, 07:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 968.01 MB
Heads Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanners View Post
Leave it to the Dukester to namedrop.... Not sure the X-15A-2 had a periscope but if someone can show me research that it did, I'll gladly stand corrected. The starboard cockpit window was left uncovered by the ablative coating and paint, and was used until the window was obscured by the charred paint/ablator.

When heating loads decreased, the eyelid on the port side was opened and that is what was used for landing.

It never had one installed. It was suggested that it would be needed if that blacked out cockpit configuration was approved. And yes I knew Pete. I saw him several times thru the years and the conversation I recalled was from about a year before his crash. It ain't about dropping names. It is about identifying the source for accurate reference. Sorry if it came across wrong. I grew up in the aviation and space coast engineering world. You get to know a lot of folks.

Fly and drive safe!
Old 05-21-2020, 09:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfduke View Post
It never had one installed. It was suggested that it would be needed if that blacked out cockpit configuration was approved. And yes I knew Pete. I saw him several times thru the years and the conversation I recalled was from about a year before his crash. It ain't about dropping names. It is about identifying the source for accurate reference. Sorry if it came across wrong. I grew up in the aviation and space coast engineering world. You get to know a lot of folks.

Fly and drive safe!
No worries. It just seemed an odd comment, bringing up a piece of equipment the X-15A-2 never carried.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 968.01 MB
Cool. I have lots of little tidbits I picked up over the years. I just happened to remember them when I see something being said in reference to a old memory.

Thanks for allowing me to precipitate. I really enjoy reading the comments on all of these projects. I lurked for years when I was out of the loop watching you folks banter on the details of this or that.

It's awesome fun!

Fly straight!
Google Adsense
Old 05-23-2020, 10:05 AM

Republic Aircraft AP-76

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mole View Post
You're right the Delta Wing version did not exist. The design did get as far as a few wind tunnel versions. The project moved on, and money went to other projects.

I just thought it would make a great what-if model. The Delta Wing version of the X-15 is the one all use X-15 fans wished had gotten built.
In one of my books it mentions that the delta wing was designed before the prototype was built. Main change was to test delta shape wings for the space shuttle design.

The Regular X-15 provided enough information the delta wasn't needed.

I have a set of stomp rockets of the various designs for the X-15. A delta wing is included. The set has all of the designs submitted for the winning bid to build the aircraft. The delta wing added to the set as a bonus. Note: the center blue colored cardstock alpha build is the Bell Aircraft D-171 submittal.
A white X-15A-2, anyone?-pict0065.jpg

As mentioned above, one of the designs had a periscope. The Republic AP-76. When researched and looked for a 3-vu drawing, this was all that I could find. Not much to go on!
A white X-15A-2, anyone?-republic-ap76.jpg

Note: that there is not a forward looking canopy, only a series of side view ports: A white X-15A-2, anyone?-republic-x15.jpg

Interesting history of each design that was submitted. Douglass Aircraft D558 III / D684 Design, Bell Aircraft D-171 design, Republic Aircraft AP-76 Design. North American won the design with their X-15 proposal.

I used to have the X-15 set listed on Ecards, cleaning things up and will have them re-listed soon.

I have two sets of Rocket planes: !940 Real Rocket Planes and 1950 Real Rocket Planes. Plan is to add one more set, 1930 Real Rocket Planes (Lippisch Designs)

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 05-23-2020 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Adding design model #