PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Requests

Old 06-16-2012, 11:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 13.06 MB
closed to the public for repairs. open again soon.

Still leaking, USS Texas to close for repairs next week - Houston Chronicle
Old 06-17-2012, 08:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
I've been looking forward to the day when someone took on this ship as a modeling project and to provide the type of detailed model she deserves...it's a substantial project, as is any model of a large capital ship, but I think I can safely say there are quite a number of interested modelers out there who would love to buy such a model if it became available!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 06-17-2012, 11:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.64 MB
cosidering there is a USS Oklahoma in 1-200, and a California how can there not be a Texas, a much more storied ship?Unless getting sunk at PH counts.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasmarrel View Post
cosidering there is a USS Oklahoma in 1-200, and a California how can there not be a Texas, a much more storied ship?Unless getting sunk at PH counts.
True Dat!

Hopefully this is corrected....

Cheers!
Jim
Old 05-03-2013, 12:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.75 GB
Bump!!!

Open Source Models

Ryan
Google Adsense
Old 05-03-2013, 02:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 699.34 MB
I'm nearby, too - Sugar Land. I have photos of my older brother and myself at around 5-10 years old sitting on the seats of one of the AA guns. Many fond memories. I will make myself available to help. Most of my models have been WWI tanks, but I made one ship for this site - IJN Minekaze. Let me know what you need.
Wayne
Old 05-04-2013, 04:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 13.06 MB
good point Wayne.... the first time i visited the Texas was about 30 years ago. many of the deck weapons were still enjoyable for a school-kid. they were able to traverse and elevate. even some of the 1.1 quads! It did not take much imagination for an early teen to imagine an attack out of the "San Jacinto" sky and see an enemy aircraft closing in.... even if it may have been a random civilian aircraft. If anybody still wants to PM me for the photos I have, please do so. It would be a difficult project even for the best. I know it may be beyond my abilities in design, but i was encouraged when i looked through a port hole on the flag bridge and noticed the model of the USS Houston (the galloping ghost of the Java coast)....scratch built by a Texas sailor. It should be still on display, yet one may have to climb six decks to see it.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:14 PM

Has there been progress on the USS Texas, BB35 model?
Old 05-22-2017, 07:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
If I might throw a tentative hat in the ring. This design wasn't on the list but your impassioned pleas has touched what remains of my hearts. I have some of the line drawings that the one website of historic ships once had. The era of this ship confuses me. My modest designs are prewar or just before the storm themes. Wichita, hosho kashima for instance. my main reason for prewar is they don't have all them damn AAA canons and such. Most of the plans at the drydock site seem to be the later ship. I've cruised the web and came up with some prelim pics. Darwins involvement with this project is a great shot in the arm. I truly suck on complex hulls, and this is what limits my efforts to flush decks or very simple stepped decks. From what i can glean from a few drawings Texas is actually one flush deck with a bunch on complex additions around the midships. the tumble home is what seems to confound and frankly worries on a design of this scale. If we can come to a consensus of what era of Texas we are looking for, colors etc I would give my best effort. Darwin I would relinquish any rights to you to distribute as you see fit. If you have already started this project. If you haven't then " it's mine mine mine all mine do you here me MINE!!!!" (just kidding, daffy duck persona emerging from the multi personalities)
Old 05-22-2017, 08:43 AM

I use a 3D CAD program to make my models, so I might be able to help with the hull. I agree that the secondary batteries amidships will complicate the model, but the challenge is enticing. Do your drawings include hull cross-sections or contours?
Wayne
Google Adsense