PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 10-12-2010, 08:04 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Yeah - I tried it. I dont have many vertecies in the drawing because I put them in myself with the pen tool to maintain control I just gotta tweak it more. It looks better already
Old 10-12-2010, 04:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Not bad at all, Chris!

Wyvern
Old 10-13-2010, 08:49 PM
Design Admin

Here is a partial snap of blank Nieuport I will be using. A friend of mine (old troll) touched up the colors and did extensive research to ensure accuracy. I compared to one I did, the original and another blank that was offered to me and this is the one I was most satisfied with

The insignia was much closer to what I needed than I thought. A few minor color corrections and curve changes but very minor - you will see it next when its on the plane.

thanks!
Chris
Old 10-13-2010, 09:21 PM
Design Admin

ok - I got the insignia applied now off to bed!
Old 10-14-2010, 07:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 204.72 MB
Chris,

For the sake of uniformity, I can use the same base as you all are using, and redo Campbell's so they match - if someone were to do a lineup, I would want them all to match as closely as possible. I know I sure got dizzy looking from one source to another, wracking my brain as to which colors were most likely. Ugh.

Doug
Google Adsense
Old 10-14-2010, 07:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Actually, there was considerable variation in the French camouflage colors in WWI. The aircraft were generally made by several manufacturers and their interpretation of both the patterns and colors used varied greatly. Add to that the effects of castor oil lubricant, dust, dirt, mud and fading caused by the sun and you can have a very motley group of aircraft. I try to go with the colors called out in Albatros Publications Windsock Datafiles and Windsock International magazine as well as the journal of the Cross & Cockade Society. I find no fault with the colors used by other designers/repainters (and hope they return the favor) - I just go with what agrees with the references and looks "right" to me.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:03 AM
Design Admin

I agree with Ron there

Some variation is desirable I will probably switch things up every once in a while too.

It might even be fun to make some layers in the pdf (yes I am considering this if I can figure it out) that will build in some color variation for the builder as desired and possibly some weathering to show a well used plane. This is a big maybe of course as i dont want to bite off more than I can chew which I tend to do as most poeple here can attest....
Chris
Old 10-14-2010, 09:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 204.72 MB
Okee doke - yeah, I was going off of the colors in Hamady's book on the Nieuport 28. Ron, does the Albatros Datafile have a lot of good profiles and color info in them? I need to pick that one up regardless...it's just a matter of when. Sheesh. I hope to have some time this weekend to finish up two non-ace 27th Aero planes I have been working on. Chris, I figure that I might package up the non-ace planes in packs of two, that way one doesn't have to spring for two separate ones to get planes that might be fairly similar (at least in the same squadron) while at the same time doesn't require one to purchase a whole pack of a half dozen from the same squadron if you just want to build one representative one. What do you think?

Layers in the pdf would be awesome, but do you need the full version of Acrobat to implement those?

Doug
Old 10-14-2010, 01:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
The Windsock Datafiles by Albatros have superb 1/48 and 1/72 multi-views of the subject aircraft(s) and many, many photos (B&W) with overall and detailed shots. Typically there are 3 color profiles (the Datafile Specials have more) but there is usually a 2-4 page discussion of colors and markings with cross-reference to the Methuen system color codes. Albatros' companion magazine "Windsock International" is more modeling oriented but also has excellent aircraft reference material and reviews of pl**tic kits and decals.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:33 PM
Design Admin

Yes! Non Aces I would say can AND SHOULD be packaged together. I would price them the same as the original then add $1 or $1.50 per additional livery in the bundle. The amount you add is dependent on the number of differences. I would add just $1 if the differences are small like number 12 instead of number 15 and/or one other small change. More than that then price a touch more but not a lot. make sense?

for layers - I got no idea! I am gonna ask Dave Graffham our resident layer master whose computer broke and has not done anything new lately :(
Chris