PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 12-02-2010, 11:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
You...know...if you upsized that engine to 1/33, Peter could fit it to his BUFF and start on a later Megafortress!!!

Wikipedia is wrong re referring to the C-130 as Fat Albert, certainly for the Blue Angels support aircraft...I recall it being referred as this in the 80s when the Italeri Blue Angels C-130 came out in 1/72 and/or 1/72...
Old 12-02-2010, 11:17 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPONeill View Post
You...know...if you upsized that engine to 1/33, Peter could fit it to his BUFF and start on a later Megafortress!!!

Wikipedia is wrong re referring to the C-130 as Fat Albert, certainly for the Blue Angels support aircraft...I recall it being referred as this in the 80s when the Italeri Blue Angels C-130 came out in 1/72 and/or 1/72...
OMG Nice idea SJ.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
...and there very best thing is that there is very little artwork of the Megafortresses (opsec issues, I guess!!) apart from a couple of artists interpretations on book covers so you could build it solely as your interpretation of the descriptions in the book...big, black, seamless, pointy nose, V-tail and more weapons than Chuck Norris on a grumpy day...
Old 12-02-2010, 01:10 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPONeill View Post
I figured Wikipedia was wrong. I know several bases I was stationed at hosted the Blue Angels for air shows, and the support aircraft came in. But we always referred to it as "the C-130."

I still think they stole the nickname from the C-5. 8v)

Nando, you're doing amazing work on the old boy. Have you thought of how you'll paint the Galaxy yet? Or is that something you're not concerned with yet?
Old 12-02-2010, 03:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 60.55 MB
"An all-Marine Corps crew of three officers and five enlisted personnel operate the Lockheed-Martin C-130T Hercules, affectionately known as Fat Albert Airlines. Fat Albert joined the team in 1970 and flies more than 140,000 miles each season. It carries more than 40 maintenance and support personnel, their gear and enough spare parts and communication equipment to complete a successful air show.
Fat Albert cruises at a speed of more than 320 knots (approximately 360 miles per hour) at 27,000 feet. Four Allison turboprop engines, which produce more than 16,000 shaft-horsepower, provide Fat Albert Airlines with the power to land and depart on runways as short as 2,500 feet.
At select show sites, Fat Albert demonstrates its jet-assisted takeoff (JATO) capability. Eight solid-fuel rocket bottles, four on each side, attached near the rear paratrooper doors thrust the Hercules skyward. Fired simultaneously, the JATO bottles allow the mammoth transport aircraft to takeoff within 1,500 feet, climb at a 45-degree angle, and propel it to an altitude of 1,000 feet in approximately 15 seconds. Getting Fat Albert airborne in minimal time and distance simulates conditions in hostile environments or on short, unprepared runways."

From the blue angels website...

Google Adsense
Old 12-02-2010, 03:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 942.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashrunner View Post
Have you thought of how you'll paint the Galaxy yet? Or is that something you're not concerned with yet?
One of the best things in designing a model is the looking for documentation. You learn a lot of things about its history, how does it work, how does people invent the way to use it, etc. Looking for which aircraft to represent I found the 69-0025: the Memphis Bell X. Here some pictures I collected ( very usefull the decal sheets). I always loved the nose art, and the Fat Albert (could I use this nickname? ) is very poor of this kind of decoration. So the choice is nearly mandatory.

Best, Nando
Fat Man & Little Boy available here
Old 12-03-2010, 10:28 AM

Looking good Nando!

Ken
Old 12-03-2010, 11:25 AM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
Any C-5 kit would be nice, as there really isn't a C-5 in card yet.

Personally, I would like to see one in its original paint scheme of white on gray. It was the way Fat Albert looked the first time I met him and the way I remember him.

It sure was a gorgeous bird looking like it does here.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
The things we learn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashrunner View Post
Any C-5 kit would be nice, as there really isn't a C-5 in card yet.

Personally, I would like to see one in its original paint scheme of white on gray. It was the way Fat Albert looked the first time I met him and the way I remember him.

It sure was a gorgeous bird looking like it does here.
here in the forum! The only time I'd previously heard "Fat Albert" (other than coming from Bill Cosby) was in reference to the C-130 flown by the Blues. I suppose that is understandable being an ol' navel aviat-tore with limited exposure to the ways & wiles of blue suiter terminology. Certainly the moniker would apply to the C-5, perhaps as the "Fatter Albert" (?!)

Still would like to get my grubbies on a decent of plans - I'd like to scratch one in 1:48.
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale
Old 12-03-2010, 03:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 942.12 MB
Work in progress 3

Some more texture ...

More realistic ...

But only on the left side , for now .

Next follow ....

Nando
Fat Man & Little Boy available here
Google Adsense