PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 05-21-2011, 02:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 233.25 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to Inky
Any new development on this build??? I am looking forward to purchasing this and building it myself.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Nando, maybe i can help. Im very interested in getting this model complete. I'm a C-5 crew chief with 8 years of CAD (read rhino3d) experience. I also have access to a laser cutter, if that means anything to anyone (i like to cut my models with a laser becuase i am lazy)

If there is anything i can do to help this project along, let me know.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 942.12 MB
Thank You all for your patience.
I am truly honored to see that my project arouses so much interest, and at the same time I feel a responsibility not to disappoint your expectations.
I assure you that this time I'm working at the Galaxy, but mainly trying to improve the techniques to use in a project so challenging for me.
In particular at this time I'm developing a technique to speed up the design phase of the surface, trying to automate the filling that up to now I do individually drawing the
triangles one by one.
This technique is based on the use of the Sandbox plugin, designed, I think, to more easily create surfaces from contours or from scratch, to reproduce landscapes.
I chose to experiment with this technique, developing a simpler model of the Galaxy. In Buran.ru site I found the documentation of the spacecraft Kliper, designed as the successor to the Soyuz.

I designed the bulkhead and then through trial and error I developed a technique that I summarized in the video below.

‪Sandbox to shape a paper model fuselage‬‏ - YouTube

So now it seems easy and the trick is to turn every piece of the surface in a landscape, because the plugin expects to generate from the top surface and developing it horizontally.
That's why
first extract the contours from bulkheads
Then rotate the contours, to place it horizontal.

Each surface is created as a group, so before we explode them and then group them into one group.
I have verified that the final product does not create problems with Pepakura Designer, but the end result is good, excluding the textures ....

Now I am slowly applying this technique to my old project, but I saved a copy: you never know ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmins02 View Post
Nando, maybe i can help. Im very interested in getting this model complete. I'm a C-5 crew chief with 8 years of CAD (read rhino3d) experience. I also have access to a laser cutter, if that means anything to anyone (i like to cut my models with a laser becuase i am lazy)

If there is anything i can do to help this project along, let me know.
timmins02 thank you for offering help and surely I will use it, especially when I have to paint the surfaces, because I want to make a model with scalable graphics, but it seems like I'm losing my own battle with Pepakura and Inkscape. Then I will ask support for details, view your direct knowledge of the aircraft.
The beauty of this hobby is also this: to know the people who have lived with these giants of the sky.

Best, Nando

PS: could someone give me some help to embed my Youtube video in the post?
Thanks
Fat Man & Little Boy available here

Last edited by nando; 07-18-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 233.25 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to Inky
nando,

Not sure if this helps you but found some 3D CAD drawings of the C-5. Waiting patiently for your return.

3D CAD Browser - 3D Model Preview - C-5 Galaxy
Old 09-10-2011, 06:50 AM
Eternal Member

sure to get youtube onto the post go advanced and click the youtube icon then copy and paste the number on the url not the whole lot them numbers and letters that appear in your web browser windows are what you need to post the youtube.
Google Adsense
Old 09-11-2011, 04:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 942.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky View Post
nando,

Not sure if this helps you but found some 3D CAD drawings of the C-5. Waiting patiently for your return.

3D CAD Browser - 3D Model Preview - C-5 Galaxy
Thank You Inky for the link, the model is beautiful, and it also has the interior! But it also costs so much to download it and then I don't know if it will be useful in Sketchup. Patience!
I take this opportunity to thank everyone for their patience and interest that continue to show for my project. I feel guilty about the little progress I've made recently. But the fact that in the meantime I have completed three old projects (Sopwith Swallow, HMS Astute, LIM-49A Spartan) should reassure you that I will complete this project as well.
My approach is a little chaotic and discontinuous, but sooner or later it gets some results. Have faith!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctormax View Post
sure to get youtube onto the post go advanced and click the youtube icon then copy and paste the number on the url not the whole lot them numbers and letters that appear in your web browser windows are what you need to post the youtube.
doctormax thanks for the suggestions. Now I can enrich my threads with some video.

Best regards, Nando
Fat Man & Little Boy available here
Old 01-12-2012, 12:30 PM

Nondo,

It is exciting to see you working in SketchUp to develop your C5. I am a flying scale
model competitor and have been rounding up resources for a C5A/B/M build at the
same scale as our B-47's, one is an E and the other a WB. These are at 157" w/s
powered with Dynamax EDF (electric ducted fan).

I have been looking for my next project to utilize the Dynamax in. A C5 can be a very
challenging competitive subject considering its limited flight envelope, though its very
presence earns brownie point consideration.

We are utilizing SolidWorks, SketchUp, and other utilities and CNC mill, hot wire, and
printer to create our projects. I am most interested in discussing availablity of your
workup to permit us to go to the next step and create a 1/16th replica @ 167" w/s.

Grazing across your images I find myself almost as if pressing up against a candy
store display case ;^)

The issue with most online images is they are produced for the sim market and they
have too few polygons in their composition to utilize in a full blown 3D CAD workup.
Such is the case for that C5 image that you were directed to. Skins are not usable.
The faciting rendered in these is horrible. Reptilian scale modeling ;^)

I usually start my drawings in analog, editing 2D to achieve proper geometry in the
perspective to perspective relationships of the drawings. Most artists draw without
concern for maintaining scale between each perspective. This, more often than not!
Yes, it took me back when I first started doing work-ups.

I look forward to your reply and to viewing your progression in this project.

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 01-12-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:44 PM

Timmins02,

Are you in San Antonio? I am in Houston.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:11 PM

C-5 Drawing

I, too, am looking for a copy of the Polish scale C-5 drawing used by Nando to construct his excellent model. Can someone assist in locating a copy? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.39 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to RyanShort
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flite-Metal View Post
Timmins02,

Are you in San Antonio? I am in Houston.
I don't know if Timmins is in SA, but I am.

Ryan
Google Adsense