PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 01-03-2011, 10:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 72.31 MB
Actually a huge amount is known about the design and construction of the Turtle.
Several years after the war had ended, President Jefferson, wrote to David Bushnell and asked for details about the Turtle.
In the letter to Jefferson (which still exists) Bushnell describes how the hull was actually carved from one piece of Oak. He details the instruments inside, the method for sealing the bearings and many other details.
To Bushnell though the Turtle was simply a method of delivery, His real invention, he felt was the clockwork bomb, (also called a torpedo or device) and there are several examples of his clockwork mechanism still in existence.
I really like any thing to do with the Turtle, Your model is gorgeous.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Other great desing Heinkel
Old 01-03-2011, 05:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltedfalcon View Post
Actually a huge amount is known about the design and construction of the Turtle.
Several years after the war had ended, President Jefferson, wrote to David Bushnell and asked for details about the Turtle.
In the letter to Jefferson (which still exists) Bushnell describes how the hull was actually carved from one piece of Oak. He details the instruments inside, the method for sealing the bearings and many other details.
To Bushnell though the Turtle was simply a method of delivery, His real invention, he felt was the clockwork bomb, (also called a torpedo or device) and there are several examples of his clockwork mechanism still in existence.
I really like any thing to do with the Turtle, Your model is gorgeous.

Quite telling that you could get a piece of oak that build back then. If it was built out of wood now, it would have to be made out of particle board. (not really, just a lamentation of the loss of all the original growth forests)
Old 01-03-2011, 06:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
I assume that the model will soon be available at ecardmodels.com? I think this ship will quickly make it to the top of the "to build" pile. I see a cut-away model with complete interior is in my near future.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:31 AM

good luck Knife. It Will Be a Difficult job.
Available in Ecardmodels.? Ask Chris. The web is not mine.
Google Adsense
Old 01-04-2011, 01:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.73 MB
This is a must have. I've wanted a model of the Turtle since high school. Looking at the photos, I might start with a wood turning.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.63 GB
Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathros View Post
Quite telling that you could get a piece of oak that build (big?) back then. If it was built out of wood now, it would have to be made out of particle board. (not really, just a lamentation of the loss of all the original growth forests)
Many years ago I restored a roll top work bench that had been made in the 1890's. It had minor water and fire damage. I had to replace the base piece which had water damage and extensive rot. It was a piece of hard wood an inch and a half thick by 8 1/4 feet by 4 1/2 feet. This wood slab was part of a mass produced relatively inexpensive piece of furniture designed for use in a clock repair shop. And this was the bottom which was not meant to be seen, only provide a rigid base for the rest of the bench.
Needless to say I could not find an affordable equivalent wood slab and ended up using a 8 by 4 sheet of marine grade plywood bulked out with moulding strips.
A trip to an upscale antique shop will quickly demonstrate that 19th c woodworkers (and before) had lumber to select from that is simply not available today. The forests of giant old growth trees have been destroyed or are in the process of their final destruction. I built a couple of wood ship models, will not any more: decent wood has been priced out of my reach.
In any case given the forest resources still available in colonial era American, it is entirely possible the original Turtle hull was made from only one or two pieces.

This is a research challenge; I once read that a second Turtle was built during the 1812 conflict, can any one find a confirmatory source?
Old 01-04-2011, 05:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.63 GB
Turtle repro info

Handshouse Building the Replica of David Bushnell’s Turtle

-----------------------

Great build thread, I like watching you solve paper engineering problems.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:49 PM

Do not include two assembly methods.

I found an easy and perfect solution for wood. A second skin. Vertically.

The modeler chooses. one or two skins.

Greetings
Attached Thumbnails
Turtle submarine 1:12 Heinkelmodels-sin-titulo.jpg  
Old 05-17-2011, 06:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
John Wagenseil, Hello.

It is many years (about 40) since I laid eyes on the book that says the following, but I have no reason to think it inaccurate.
There was a 2nd Turtle hull built, but it was never actually outfitted/equipped, and ended it's days as a grain alcohol/ale storage vat, subsequently burned to destruction somewhere around 1890 or so.
Hence, as it never served it's original purpose, it passed from the knowledge of history, as it were.

Hope the tiny bit of info here helps.

Respectful Regards, Uyraell.
Google Adsense