PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 02-16-2011, 06:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.23 MB
Lego Classic Space Mini-Fig

So, shortly before I joined here, the last project I'd worked on, over at the /po/ board was a modification of someone else's Lego Minifig Papercraft. The original model that inspired me was obtained from here. Having joined Paper Modelers, I decided I needed to get a little more serious about my designs. Well... As serious as one can be about a Lego Minifig.

This is a project that my 13 and 18 year old sons have been eagerly anticipating, as we're all going to build the minifigs. (I have several different colors) and maybe even make Lego Parts, and build some of the Sets.

Thar original model was good start, but I'm an engineer, and precision is something I NEED in my life. This model was off in several respects. So, I reached into my footlockers (the ones the kids get SHOT for even looking at) and pulled out some Classic Lego sets. A bunch of pictures, and a judicious use of a pair of calipers later, and this is what I've achieved.

The layout is completed, now to begin the printing, and see if I can make it look correct.

Finished Model size is 35.9cm, or just over 14 inches tall, this matches the far less detailed model I made over on the /po/ board.

Pictured is the RED minifig, because it shows the best contrast, but I'm not sure if I'll build the White, Red, Yellow, Blue, or Black versions first.

Google Adsense
Old 02-16-2011, 06:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 709.4 KB
I would love a copy to build myself. That looks awesome, and anyone who grew up with Legos would enjoy the build.

http://dented-rick.deviantart.com/
Old 02-16-2011, 06:42 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dented Rick View Post
I would love a copy to build myself. That looks awesome, and anyone who grew up with Legos would enjoy the build.
Having an 11 year old son means I still play with LEGOS! Of course, he's just an excuse. That is going to be one awesome LEGO Dude!!
Old 02-16-2011, 06:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
Oh my God I want one!!!!!! I had that LEGO guy when I was a kid (also read as, I still have that LEGO guy and I play with them every now and again). My 3 year old son has taken a big liking to LEGOs, both the Duplo and my regular sets.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Ray!?? Ray!? I wanna see this built 1:1!!! original Lego size!!
Google Adsense
Old 02-16-2011, 07:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 709.4 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathros View Post
Having an 11 year old son means I still play with LEGOS! Of course, he's just an excuse. That is going to be one awesome LEGO Dude!!
I regret to say that my 7 year old son doesn't like Legos. He is into erector sets, and taking his go-kart apart

http://dented-rick.deviantart.com/
Old 02-16-2011, 07:54 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dented Rick View Post
I regret to say that my 7 year old son doesn't like Legos. He is into erector sets, and taking his go-kart apart
My son has a 97cc mini bike. This year he wants to learn how to turn on my lathe and mill on my milling machine. I am a little hesitant, because these machines could be dangerous. He wants to weld using my Tig welder, but I told him, not till at least 16 too hard on the eyes! Erector sets are really cool!! We have a bureau full of LEGOS, has to be a couple of grand worth. People in Connecticut put huge bags of these for sale in Tag sales and sometimes I think they forgot what they paid for them.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:59 AM

Well, printed out the model, now I'm testing for fit and function.

Making all those little cuts and tabs is a pain in the butt! Then having to glue them together? Ugh. I might go back and ease up some of the curves. (ie right now, there's 3 transitional curves between 2 perpendicular surfaces. Cutting it down to 2 would save a LOT of work on final assembly.)

Here's the work so far.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
Niiiiiiiiice!
Old 02-27-2011, 02:14 AM

Well, about 8 days ago, I started building the Torso, and discovered my measurements had been off in a number of areas. SO, rather than just trim down a couple pieces to fix it, I completely redesigned the model.

It's hell being an Obsessive/Compulsive Procrastinating Perfectionist, really it is.

SO, I got everything re-designed, and decided I didn't like the 14 inch (36cm) model that I was building, and re-scaled everything. Current scale is now 6:1, which means the finished piece will stand about 10 inches (26cm) tall. My 13 year old son has DEMANDED the right to build one, (well, not really, but he was very cute when he asked me if he could, so I gave in) so we have TWO of them being built in the house right now. One will definitely be red, and the other is going to be white.

The PDF I've created is meant to be used with colored paper, so the yellow you see on the heads here is from yellow posterboard. I believe its 65lb paper. I trimmed down the paper from the original 22"x28" (or 30, I don't remember) with a sharp hobby knife, and an office style papercutter I have. Works great in my epson 1410 printer. One sheet of yellow was needed for the head, and 9 sheets of red will be needed for the body. A single sheet of regular printer paper will be needed for sheet #11, as this has the "Classic Space" logos on it, and they can be printed off, trimmed and glued to the chest of the minifig.

Unfortunately I see I'm running low on black in, and have to color in the face details by hand. More pictures as the son and I continue construction.
Attached Thumbnails
Lego Classic Space Mini-Fig-lego-minifignew.jpg  
Google Adsense