PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 02-25-2011, 09:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
An Experiment

This one's an "X" plane in 2 ways. It's a 1/144 Republic XR-12 Rainbow, and it was an experiment for me in a metal finish.

I scaled down the 1/72 scale version I'm working on in order to test an idea. It worked - sort of. I used 20 lb. standard copy paper to print the model, and covered the reverse side of each part with metal duct tape. The parts looked great at first, but since the paper I used was so thin, were VERY sensitive to bumps and bruises (as seen in the photos). Oh, well, if I do this again, I'll use 67 lb stock and reinforce as needed.

I'm thinking of trying the "Golden Digital Grounding media" Bionic Modeler mentioned in his Laminating aluminum foil thread, since I was planning to use spray glue to attach regular foil to the parts of my 1/72 version. I'd never heard of such a product before, and it sounds promising.

Anyway, here's a couple of shots of my current test build. It still needs props/spinners, more "decals" for the cockpit area, and some sort of stand.

More pix to follow when I finish up.

Scott K.
Attached Thumbnails
An Experiment-xr-12-1.jpg   An Experiment-xr-12-2.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-25-2011, 09:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.54 MB
I'm a big fan of aluminum tape and have been using it for years. I usually rub it down with fine steel wool first to kill the shine. You're right on about it suffering from every little bump - I've learned to make sure there's no debris or dried glue on the cutting mat.

Backing it with cardstock rather than plain paper will give you a little more durability, but in my experience it will give you a different and somewhat less "smooth" appearance. I can only attribute this to cardstock having more tooth than common printer paper and that texture telegraphing through the aluminum. Hard to believe, I know, but I used both paper- and cardstock-backed pieces on the same model and the difference between them was readily noticeable.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
P-51B in polished aluminum
...The card I am using is Strathmore Chromolux Mirri Sheets
19.5 in. x 26.5 in. product number 452-9 barcode 12017 45229
made in the United Kingdom. I get 5 8.5 x 11 and one piece of scrap. Edge to edge it feels just a couple thousandths thicker than the Hammermill 110lb card stock I am using on all the non skin parts. The aluminum skin is actually mylar, accepts Sharpie ink and aquious hobbie paint with flying colors. Like an aluminum skin it needs a clear substrate to accept waterslide decals and will still show the carrier film around the decal art. All decals need to be applied to a clear finish. I like Future floor coating with the decal trimmed 100% to the color ink...