PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 08-31-2011, 07:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diderick A. den Bakker View Post
My offer still stands - I am still looking forward to a reaction from the original designer.
Good luck with that
Old 08-31-2011, 06:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.41 MB
I didnt say that but your right...this is over. To bad you dont get it?
Old 09-01-2011, 04:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.41 MB
Back to the subject matter.....I built one with the rectangular viewing ports..port and stbd, but maybe they arent rectangular??? Next one will be with the oval view ports that may or may not be described and illustrated in Jules vernes original classic......

ob·long (blông, -lng)
adj. 1. Deviating from a square, circular, or spherical form by being elongated in one direction.
2. Having the shape of or resembling a rectangle or an ellipse.
3. Botany Having a somewhat elongated form with approximately parallel sides: an oblong leaf.

Per the many dictionarys noted online. Even websters.

Last edited by OhioMike; 09-01-2011 at 04:34 AM.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMike View Post
Back to the subject matter.....I built one with the rectangular viewing ports..port and stbd, but maybe they arent rectangular??? Next one will be with the oval view ports that may or may not be described and illustrated in Jules vernes original classic......
adj. 1. Deviating from a square, circular, or spherical form by being elongated in one direction.
2. Having the shape of or resembling a rectangle or an ellipse.
3. Botany Having a somewhat elongated form with approximately parallel sides: an oblong leaf.

Per the many dictionarys noted online. Even websters.
Most English dictionaries define "oblong" as rectangular as the preferred or primary definition. In technical dictionaries (mathematical, scientific, etc.), the word refers only to rectangles. Verne, however, was not writing in English. The word "oblong" (which is the word Verne specifically used in describing the windows) in French is defined almost exclusively as "rectangle" or "rectangular". A scant handful of French dictionaries will expand the definition to include "elongated", but it's difficult to find any that include a definition of the word as "oval" or "elliptical" (in fact, I found only one during my research). Given this I took Verne's use of the word "oblong" to mean "rectangular".

I realize that there are a great many features of the Nautilus that have been de rigeur in the popular imagining of the submarine (most of which had their birth in the Harper Goff design for Disney), but in recreating the Nautilus I tried to adhere as closely as possible to three standards: 1. Scrupulous attention to Verne's written description, 2. Awareness of the state of the art of submarine design at the time Verne was writing (since this would have been an influence on him) and 3. A complete disregard for all previous imaginings of the Nautilus. In short, I wanted to be as true as possible to what Verne himself had in mind when writing about the submarine.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
Thumbs up

The translator's job is a tough one! From a purely engineering standpoint, a rectangular window would certainly be a poor choice for a submarine. But issues related to material fatigue and pressure induced stress concentrations were poorly understood at the time, so understandable. Regardless, I like the models's design - a lot!
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale
Google Adsense
Old 11-28-2019, 05:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
The original plan fore this model was that there would be, later, a further development that provided an interior for Nautilus. Just wondering if this ever happened..?
Old 04-24-2020, 01:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 439.73 MB
Hola Nando
No había visto tu hilo.
Felicidades por tan buen diseño.
A ver cuando se puede ver el interior, mediante ventanas de acetato , poniendo una foto detrás.
Saludos

Hi Nando I haven't seen your thread. Congratulations on such a good design. Let's see when you can see the interior, through acetate windows, putting a photo behind. Cheers
Old 04-24-2020, 04:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Como ves en este hilo no hay comentarios que el modelo tiene fallos de diseño, nadie menciona las piezas G y en este hilo usuarios como cjwalas construyen varios.
Por lo tanto el modelo está aprobado, ahora y dentro 20 años.
las criticas son principalmente de construcción y el estilo de diseño, con formadores, el metodo polaco.

Todo el mundo tiene una opinión y todo se puede mejorar. Pero la falta de experiencia no es problema del diseñador, es problema del modelista.

As you can see in this thread there are no comments that the model has design flaws, nobody mentions the G pieces and in this thread users like cjwalas build several.
Therefore the model is approved, now and 20 years from now.
The criticisms are mainly of construction and design style, with formers, the Polish method.

Everyone has an opinion and everything can be improved. But lack of experience is not the designer's problem, it's the modeller's problem.
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/heinkel-models
Old 04-24-2020, 04:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinkel111 View Post
everyone has an opinion and everything can be improved. But lack of experience is not the designer's problem, it's the modeller's problem.
well said!