PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 04-15-2011, 09:12 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Orbital Taurus II

So, still trying to keep ahead of the launch schedule. Here's something for the early adopters that can't wait for Erick's more detailed offering (which is in turn waiting on the actual assembly of the first rocket ...).

Orbital Sciences Corp. (builder of Pegasus, et. al.) is one of the winners of the NASA COTS (commercial, off-the-shelf -- or commercial orbital transportation services) contract to supply ISS. The other COTS contractor is SpaceX. SpaceX has two Falcon9 launches under their belt, OSC many but not with the Taurus II - their chosen ISS resupply rocket. The Taurus II is a new design but draws on the Russian/Ukranian heritage of the Zenit rocket - noted as the cheapest (cost per pound to orbit) of the current crop of launchers.

The rocket is a basic shape - tube and nosecone.

Orbital Taurus II-booster01.jpg

Orbital Taurus II-fairing01.jpg

Modeling that is straightforward, though without an actual rocket put together yet the detailing is minimal. The basic tube is a good candidate for a "beta-like" free download discussed elsewhere in the forum.

But without a payload, it's just a REALLY expensive firework - that doesn't even go bang (knock on wood). So, to work. The problem with modeling this for the Taurus II is its structure. After launch and first stage burnout, it stages, sheds the fairing, and the second stage, payload adapter, and payload continue to orbit. But, the second stage is encapsulated in the interstage and is not part of the basic tube ...

Orbital Taurus II-t2-version01.jpg

First try at a solution is to take the connector band that would normally join the booster and fairing, glue it into a stand-alone ring, and attach the second stage and payload adapter to that. A bit fiddly to build but fairly straightforward.

Orbital Taurus II-stages.jpg

With that as a basis, build up the payload and attach to the adapter and you're in business. Orbital is planning on using a modified satellite bus (Orbital: Star series) for control/propulsion with a modified ISS multipurpose logistics module (Italian: Thales Alenia) on top for pressurized cargo. May also use the standard ISS rack system for unpressurized loads. Unfortunately, with this model design you end up with more structure than will really be used ...

Orbital Taurus II-taurusrevisions.jpg

Orbital Taurus II-payloadv2.jpg

Orbital Taurus II-cygnus.jpg

So, with two test builds in the bag (added to the teacher bribe/incentive stash) it looks like a third iteration is needed. Somehow, I need to leave the connector structure with the booster and let the second stage/payload pull free while still supporting it for display.

Yogi (to be continued ...)

Last edited by Retired_for_now; 04-15-2011 at 09:23 PM. Reason: precision
Google Adsense
Old 04-15-2011, 09:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 12.95 MB
Nice clean work!
Old 04-17-2011, 08:19 PM
Eternal Member

Payloads

Thanks Itla.

Working slowly through iteration 3 on the second stage/adapter/payload arrangement. Also did the "secondary" Taurus II payload. Pressurized cargo goes in Cygnus - basically a Leonardo can on top of a satellite navigation/propulsion bus. For unpressurised cargo there's no need for the can - kind of like Japan's HTV open garage below their pressurized section. No details, but Orbital's press materials talk about a modified ExPRESS Logistics Carrier from the ISS. Basically, a flat rack with a standard connector and various equipment and experiments mounted on both sides.

Orbital Taurus II-express01.jpg

Orbital Taurus II-express02.jpg

Orbital Taurus II-express03.jpg

Kind of ridiculous at this scale (never mind Alphonso's superb renditions of the ISS ELCs) but there you go. Does require building the payload fairing without formers to get the clearance needed - that or making true-to-scale formers about the width of a hair (OK, three hairs but still).

Any interest in a beta-like tube only version to pair with the Falcon9?

Yogi
Old 04-18-2011, 07:39 PM
Eternal Member

Getting close to done with iteration 3 (hopefully final). Probably let the second stage/fixed adapter/payload just drop in through an interstage former and rest loosely in place. Need to write some kind of directions for building up the payloads as well ...

PM me if you'd like to try a beta-build (post build pix and brutally honest comments here). About 40 some parts in the rocket and another 20 or so for the payloads.

Yogi
Old 04-19-2011, 05:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.41 MB
Yogi...where do you get your dimensions for these to scale them by? If you dont mind me asking? Is there a web site that you use for graphics examples, etc.? models Looking great by the way!
Google Adsense
Old 04-19-2011, 07:25 PM
Eternal Member

OhioMike - whatever info I can find. Usually there is PR or reportage that gives you basic dimensions. SpaceX, ULA, and OSC put out users' guides for their launch vehicles that give the basics (diameters and stage/section lengths). They also provide quite a bit of info on fairing dimensions (payload clearance limits). Divide the dimensions by the scale, a little pi and coning and off you go.
For stuff without blueprint detail, I'll take the best picture I can find and work the part in proportion to known dimensions. With a good photo, you can paste it into your drawing area and work right on top of it.
Yogi
Old 04-20-2011, 01:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.41 MB
Thanks Yogi.....i was wondering if i missed a handbook out there or something. Did Alway put out another update on his rockets of the world since 95? Thats the one i have. I figured the web sites were of some help, Space x's web site is. Thanks again.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:25 PM
Eternal Member

I think I have a link to "rockets of the world," though most of what I find interesting is more contemporary. The contractors' sites for Orbital, United Launch Alliance, and SpaceX have links to users' guides/manuals.

Orbital Sciences Corporation follow the menu to Space Launch Vehicles, then Taurus II.

:::: United launch Alliance, LLC :::: for Atlas and Delta.

Space Exploration Technologies Corp. - SpaceX for the Falcon series.

Yogi
Old 04-20-2011, 09:00 PM
Eternal Member

Version 3

So, here we are ...

Orbital Taurus II-taurus01.jpg

Orbital Taurus II-taurus02.jpg

Orbital Taurus II-taurus03.jpg

Orbital Taurus II-taurus04.jpg

Orbital Taurus II-taurus05.jpg

Need a beta-builder (or two) to test out the directions and/or any lingering fit issues. Getting significant looks from "she who'd like a little less clutter, please" about the big X-37 plus fairing, four Atlas stacks, and three Taurus II rockets sitting on the file cabinet. One more might just be one too many - you know it's about to get serious when they're polite ...

PM me if you've got time to put together 45 rocket (3 pages) and 30 payload parts (13 for Cygnus and 17 for ExPRESS, half-page each) over the next week or two.

Yogi
Old 04-23-2011, 11:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.68 GB
orbital taurus II

If test builders are what you need.. I have a lot of time ... If that is what you need, if you need me to pay for them,.. That to can be done, a big fan of your work// I built you atlas 5 series already ... Thanks Chris ....
Google Adsense