PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 04-17-2011, 11:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
Submarine 707R

Starting up a new project here in the great State of Dallas TX. Subject is one of my all time childhood favorite comic, the Submarine 707. When I was a kid back in Hong Kong around eight year old? I remember I built a 707 Jr yellow sub plastic kit. Think at that time, I like the Jr sub more then the 707. The 707 I building is based on the anime "Submarine 707R" came out maybe two years ago(?) Picking which 707 to build wasn't easy. After the original surplus 707 was sunk(comic version), a new modern 707 II (R)was commissioned. After that, there are many refitting(comic and anime) and at least two completely new 707F( I have a vinyl kit of that) and 707 III(no clue was that just a concept for a anime or what?). In total, far as I know, there are seven 707 include the original. So, first one sunk, four refit and two all new. I know I am not going to build the original surplus 707. So naturally, I pick the second 707 II (707"R" anime version). Both of that version are almost identical but some different on the hull panels, Jr pods shape but most different are the rudder and diving plane. And Jr goes. There are four version. I only seen one version in comic is almost the same as one in the anime. Don't know what the other two version about? maybe I was too young to remember? One Jr version goes with the all new 707 III, and I'm still digging what the 707F Jr look like.

The 3D models goes. It is in Rhino. The top side hull was not easy. I am having a very hard time pulling that one off. But the shape is close enough that I am somewhat happy with. This is the best of my limited Rhino modeling skill can carry me right now so I just have to live with it.

To be continue, hopefully.
Attached Thumbnails
Submarine 707R-01.jpg   Submarine 707R-02.jpg   Submarine 707R-03.jpg   Submarine 707R-04.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 04-18-2011, 12:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 95.08 MB
Although I don't actually know of this comic I do love submarines the 2 main ones from my childhood being Stingray and Seaview.I look forward to watching you create this model, everything looks great to me so far.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:59 PM

Thing staring to looks like a sub. Not sure how to tackle the Jr pods yet, so I will save that for next time. The 707 going to 1:200 scale, seem to be the most popular Naval scale.
Attached Thumbnails
Submarine 707R-05.jpg   Submarine 707R-06.jpg   Submarine 707R-07.jpg   Submarine 707R-08.jpg  
Old 04-18-2011, 10:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
I didn't knew about this manga. But the start of your porject looks very fine. Knowing how you work, I have no doubt that this will be a fine piece.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:01 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
A bunch of clips from the movie here:

Submarine 707r

Found a line drawing and some pics, and the usual Wikipedia link:

Submarine 707R - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Very interesting.

Blue Submarine No. 6 was a favorite of mine. First time I remember seeing a story that did not at all turn out how I expected. It was also the first serious cartoon I had ever seen and when I learned the word Anime.
Attached Thumbnails
Submarine 707R-submarin707_2_1l.jpg   Submarine 707R-sub-02.jpg   Submarine 707R-submarine-707.jpg   Submarine 707R-bluesubmarineno6a.gif  
Google Adsense
Old 04-19-2011, 06:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 95.08 MB
I'll be glad when I get a PC of my own again and can look into this programme more.
UHU02 is working on a U-Boat model at the moment maybe that will give you some ideas for the pods?
Old 04-19-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathros View Post
Blue Submarine No. 6 was a favorite of mine. First time I remember seeing a story that did not at all turn out how I expected. It was also the first serious cartoon I had ever seen and when I learned the word Anime.
That's why I like Japanese anime a hell a lot more then any other. Japanese anime are not so predictable and don't alway give you happy ending. You should check out "Grave of the Fireflies"(anime version) with you wife by Studio Ghibli( I think Ghibli stuff are much better then any Disney can offer). Be sure you are well stock on tissue.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodduck View Post
That's why I like Japanese anime a hell a lot more then any other. Japanese anime are not so predictable and don't alway give you happy ending. You should check out "Grave of the Fireflies"(anime version) with you wife by Studio Ghibli( I think Ghibli stuff are much better then any Disney can offer). Be sure you are well stock on tissue.
When talking about submarines, the closest I got was Leiji Matsumoto's Super99. Always liked Matsumoto's stories, and how they were inter-related.

I agree on the unpredictability of many of the series and movies, and how stereotypes are blurred. And that's also what hooked me. The depth of anime stories is usually overlooked. The movie you cited "Grave of Fireflies" is a poignant example of this.

Another special thing about anime is the mechanical designs. They're very attractive for the most part, whether you are an airplane/submarine/robot/spaceship fan, there's always something interesting to look at.

That's why looking at the development of a new paper model based on an anime subject, right from the beginning, catches my attention.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:54 AM

I think the difficulty of building Supersubmarine 99 is up there with Spaceship Yamato. Which I still can't find any any reference and "art of" book on the super sub 99. I like Matsumoto and Miyazaki's characters design a lot. Over all I like Miyazaki best.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodduck View Post
I think the difficulty of building Supersubmarine 99 is up there with Spaceship Yamato. Which I still can't find any any reference and "art of" book on the super sub 99. I like Matsumoto and Miyazaki's characters design a lot. Over all I like Miyazaki best.
True. For some reason schematics of Matsumoto's machines are practically non existent. And when they exist they're such incredibly rare collector items....
Probably the best reference material I've seen on the Yamato is this site: Yamato Cutaway Art with some nice cutaways. But as for the 99, I've seen none. Maybe because the 99 was a "minor" work of his compared to others.

I also think that a great deal of Ghibli's success is thanks to the charming design Miyazaki made, and how they came alive on screen properly being up to the size of the stories.

Google Adsense