Old 05-08-2011, 12:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.62 GB
Looking forward with interest!
Old 05-08-2011, 02:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I'm tracking!
Old 05-08-2011, 10:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Looking forward to another great learning experience!!
Old 05-09-2011, 07:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Thank you, Chris, for moving the start of this thread from the old Mustang thread, which was about the 1/33 version. This is my first posting in this, the new 1/16 thread, except for the position marker earlier.

The situation is this: Five different aircraft were recoloured in sand & spinach, in 1/33 scale, and using Marek's original kit (design, parts, layout of kit). I then rescaled these five kits into 1/16, and made a new layout, ending up with the 40 pages already introduced. Then I started on a test build of the central section (cockpit), and immediately found that Marek's design for the cockpit was not a little off, but impossibly off, for anything purporting to realism.

I will admit that I was a bit put off then.

I have now recovered, faced reality, and started redesigning the aircraft using traditional 2D measure & draw techniques, albeit on the computer.

At the moment, I feel quite content, since the first couple of days work shows that the result is satisfyingly close to the factory drawing discussed earlier. This is going to take time, but it's going to work.

I had a little bit of fun, in that I imported a pilot figure which I have used before on many occassions, originally from some Russian magazine, and rescaled to 1/16. He's done sterling service before, and now he proved that the ergonomics of the redesign is indeed spot on.

By lowering the floor, and raising the wing somewhat there is complete congruence with the original, both for wing position, pilot's seat, control stick, etc. If you notice a slight gap between the grey rib, and the thin red line indicating the floor board, it's not because I am sloppy, but because the rib is the center rib, and the floor has to run with the profile of the wing at the fuselage sides. Took me a while to figure out how to do that! (In reality, as Bomarc has told me, the floor of the cockpit was identical to the top surface of the wing in the fuselage. Could have done it that way, but it felt safer to construct a separate floor belonging to the fuselage.)

Some of the details in the cockpit have been moved slightly back and forth to fit in better with the factory drawing, but all in all I am very happy with the way things are looking right now. Just have a look at the rudder pedals - it turns out that they should not be hanging down from the instrument panel as per the original instructions (of course not) but from the inner instrument panel former, and that this former in turn should be much deeper. I would never have figured this out, but for the help of the Russian test pilot. Note also how the floor reinforcement for placing the feet on is spot on and "functional".

I will make the floor longer, extending back right to the false spar of the wing (to be added as well) where it enters the fuselage. At present I am adding extra formers and reinforcement pieces, to get rid of the general flimsiness of the design, and get closer to a sturdy integrated framework, at least for the extended cockpit section. You can see some of them in red in the image. I will enjoy making the camera floor more of a see-through lattice, and mount a radio on the new floor beneath it (or perhaps lattice as well, since the green cockpit floor will extend all the way back below it). Love those details...

Leif
Attached Thumbnails
Rescaling the Mustang I to 1/16-redesigning-1.jpg  

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 05-09-2011 at 08:07 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Leif,
Now I'm glad for my laziness and not starting the Mustang earlier
All this work you are putting into it will result in a much better model for all of us to enjoy!

Are you modifying the skins as well, or the work involved in your redesign is contained only to the internal parts?
Of course if you need a test builder for the 1/33 version of the AG522 I'm volunteeing my own kit plus your modifications
Google Adsense
Old 05-09-2011, 08:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.52 MB
Leif
Nice to see you in this scale. Looks good and I know it is easier to work on. Good Job.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I'm glad you have decided to take on the larger task and to engineer these additional accuracy improvements.

Well done so far.

Don
Old 05-09-2011, 12:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.91 GB
This is a new standard for our community. Thank you Leif for raising the bar yet again. This whole thread is turning into a work of art. I am following with astonishment at what you are achieving here.
Happy modelling,
Bernie
Old 05-10-2011, 12:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Hello Bernie. Thanks for watching, I'm very glad you showed up here. Don't go overboard now, though. I'm simply taking my lead from what you've been doing in a most commendable way with the little PWS-50. One step at a time will get the job done (I hope, I hope...).

Thanks, the 2 Mikes & Don as well for watching over me!

Speaking of one step at a time, the plan right now is to draw the cockpit section first, make a quick test build of it, then retroscale that compartment with skins & all (yes, Mike Gremir, there will be some small, small changes to the skins, since I'm raising the wing) to 1/33, and offer a replacement set of parts in that department to everyone who has bought the original recolourings in that scale from Chris.

Then I have a vision of making full structures for both the rear and front ends of the fuselage, as an OPTION to building those sections the normal way (with just skins, joining strips, and formers). Releasing that can wait until a full make-over of kits for both scales, since once the cockpit section is done, the kit ought to be fully buildable "as is". The rest is just polishing and packaging.

I'm just saying this to commit myself to a plan of action and not deviate. Now off to the drawing board and the cockpit section. I'll start by hiding everything that hasn't got to do with the cockpit section, to prevent myself from dilly-dallying. - L.

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 05-10-2011 at 01:40 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.62 GB
I do like a man with a plan!
Google Adsense