PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 05-10-2011, 05:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
It's probably going to take a while, but the wait will be worth it!
Since you will gain all this experience in modifying the kit, maybe it will be enough to consider another modification to the kit - Merlin engine
Old 05-10-2011, 05:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 52.28 MB
Oh how i love Mustangs... would love to build one (in paper of course). Tracking the progress... AWESOME JOB!!!
Old 05-10-2011, 08:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.62 GB
Somewhere among the various parts of Dr. Zarkov's P-51D, Halinski's P-51D and Mustang III, Maly Modeler's Mustang III and Marek's latest (almost) Mustang I/P-51A there ought to be the potential for coming up with just about any type in the Mustang family. I think your correction/improvement on the Marek Allison-powered model will be the bedrock upon which others (and you) can build. This iconic aircraft deserves accurate modeling in paper.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 110.00 MB
Leif,
There are no adequate words to express this wonderful 1/16th design, meticulous details, and awe !!!!! from us mere mortals.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
A fascinating thread yet again Leif

Google Adsense
Old 05-11-2011, 11:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Thanks for watching, but like I said, let's not go overboard here. Most of the details are Marek's originals. Just by changing the floor height they suddenly fell into some sensible place. Still can't understand why he didn't do that himself. The general layout of the original design is extremely close to the factory drawing in other respects. Basically, this is a good model. -L.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Hi Leif,

Only part way through this thread but, it looks like another great read!

Thank you for sharing your build comments and techniques with us!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Old 05-13-2011, 01:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Getting the framework right

This is just a little bit of sitrep. Might be many of those to come, since steps are small and laborious - although thoroughly enjoyable. I have settled down for a long haul, which means a decision to not even look at the skin parts until the framework is deemed satisfactory.

The first thing to say is that Marek's original model now seems completely sound to me - apart from that silly cockpit. Have a look at this drawing with formers and redesigned cockpit parts overlayed:

This is an overlay with the P-51A factory drawing at the very bottom. Next follows Marek's outline of the model, straight out of the instructions in the kit, with positions for formers in red. Top layer is how far I've got with the parts.

What I am happy about is the very close correlation between Marek's outline, and the factory drawing. Note that the ventral air scoop even is a bit less in depth (tighter to the fuse bottom) than the factory drawing, which is good if we want to model an early Allison-engine Mustang.

I am also happy with the fact that the original design doesn't seem skewed or anything.

Here's the parts I have modified so far:

The cockpit section is built up of a framework of paper, not reinforced, just doubled in places. There are very few reinforcements (of the usual thick variety), and I aim to get rid of those still remaining. Stability will be achieved by lining the formers, and cut-outs in them, with paper strips. The inspiration for this comes from Mike Dixon's build of Wil Aldrige's Corsair, likewise in 1/16.

You will note that there are two radio decks incorporated. It struck me that even if the RAF Mustangs had a huge big camera mounted behind the pilot, they couldn't very well be without a radio. The only place for the radio would be further behind still, so that's were it went. One floor below, there is a converter indicated.

All these little parts are fascinating, but they remain to be drawn. This is just one step beyond sketching. But I am well pleased so far, albeit tired.

Leif

PS. For a very long time I looked at the pilot sitting in Marek's original chair, feeling very sorry for him, since the chair front end seemed to cut into his thighs something awful, even if one took a seat parachute into account. I then looked closer at the factory drawing, and redrew the chair. I could almost hear the sigh of relief from the poor guy.

Incidentally, note that the rudder pedals have come closer to the pilot again. If one looks at photos from the cockpit, the pedals seem to be unbelievably close to the instrument panel:

I'm beginning to think that the panel itself was much deeper in (more forward) under the hood. But I'm not changing that. I think.

Other small changes are a proper sized trim wheel, and proper sized radio control box. The originals were much too small.
Attached Thumbnails
Rescaling the Mustang I to 1/16-new-parts-drawing.jpg   Rescaling the Mustang I to 1/16-new-parts.jpg   Rescaling the Mustang I to 1/16-20.jpg  

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 05-13-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Excellent sitrep, Blue Leader!
Old 05-13-2011, 01:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Eagerly awaiting redesigned cockpit - this is going to be a treat!
Google Adsense