Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
I'm with Zathros easer to downsize than up.....1/33 the way to go....Rich
Old 05-14-2011, 03:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.15 GB
I love that plane. By the way there was a papermodel at
http://maquettes.m6blog.fr/
However the site went offline.

Some pics are available at

Liste des fiches Avions militaires des années 2000 et futurs 1/66 : Maquettes en papier - Paper models - ???????
Old 05-14-2011, 06:28 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
If you click on the A-12 picture on the page you provided, about halfway down is
the file for the paper model A-12. It appears hand drawn in 1/66 scale.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 05-14-2011, 07:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 343.62 MB
Yes, I have seen the paper model at the maquettes site. That is one of the reasons that spurred me on to create my own. I have beginning pics of the beta. It is closer to 1:80 scale to fit on the paper without needing to be spliced together. It is made of 4 pieces of typing paper, no formers. The strange markings on the skin are artifacts from my printer - an attempt at a neutral gray surface. I will have to use another printer when I get to the color mode. The smooth curved look of the aircraft is possible. I will next update this to a generic white model, with accurate lines - and with formers.

Richkat - The 1:33 scale would take the wingspan to 25.5 inches.
Attached Thumbnails
A-12 Avenger II-dscn0339.jpg   A-12 Avenger II-dscn0340.jpg   A-12 Avenger II-dscn0341.jpg   A-12 Avenger II-dscn0342.jpg   A-12 Avenger II-dscn0343.jpg  

A-12 Avenger II-dscn0344.jpg  
Old 05-14-2011, 12:28 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipers7 View Post
I love that plane. By the way there was a papermodel at
http://maquettes.m6blog.fr/
However the site went offline.

Some pics are available at

Liste des fiches Avions militaires des années 2000 et futurs 1/66 : Maquettes en papier - Paper models - ???????

The model is there, under the pictures. It is hand drawn, but looks like it has potential. There is also a .pdf with all the pictures for the model on that page. Great find Vipers7!
Google Adsense
Old 05-14-2011, 02:36 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Some interesting work you've done already, Mike.

This (and the other stealthy UAVs - Lockheed RQ-170, Boeing X-47, Predator C) should be a good candidate for a simple origami model as well as a complex one. Fewer seams on a simple model would offset the lack of detailing (think desk model). Toughest part would be the fit between the wings and the fuselage pod.

Well, trying to make it a flier would be harder. My cast-iron framed adding machine says it can't be done ...

Yogi (I was future shocked back in the '90s)
Old 05-14-2011, 10:39 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_for_now View Post
Some interesting work you've done already, Mike.

This (and the other stealthy UAVs - Lockheed RQ-170, Boeing X-47, Predator C) should be a good candidate for a simple origami model as well as a complex one. Fewer seams on a simple model would offset the lack of detailing (think desk model). Toughest part would be the fit between the wings and the fuselage pod.

Well, trying to make it a flier would be harder. My cast-iron framed adding machine says it can't be done ...

Yogi (I was future shocked back in the '90s)
Yogi, I have designed a N9M model that can be thrown. If the air is still, quite well. If you hit some nasty breezes, then without a rudder, the yaw becomes too pronounced. The other thing is the foil shape. For a flying wing glider, the camber must be on the leading edge on the bottom of any flying wing glider and greater than on the top. The reason for this is that the leading edge of a "normal" wing experiences a pronounced negative downwards pressure. This is why the B-2 Stealth Bomber has such a large "curve" on the bottom leading edge of the wing. You also must make "spoilerons (split ailerons) at the wing tips to allow for any errors or asymmetrical features from the build. It is possible, but difficult. The attached drawing shows it best. In a paper model, that bottom leading edge would have to be brought forward, especially it is free flying. There is not much to counteract this downward force. Inboard flaps can act as elevators. 70 degrees works best for the models I have made (looking down at the planform. Obviously, lots of tinkering and experimentation must be done. Flying paper gliders can bring much enjoyment, especially when you make one that flies great and virtually never repeat the design, even with the original, still flying model in your hand!
Attached Thumbnails
A-12 Avenger II-b-2_in_flight.jpg  
Old 05-18-2011, 07:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 343.62 MB
Spending more time lately doing doodles. Thinking through the inlet design, the formers and detailing of the parts. Getting better measurements and a breakdown summary of the kit. We (at work) have gone to a "paperless" work environment, so no pens, pencils, markers, and absolutely no paper of any kind. I sit in a cubicle with blank walls and a computer (and it is monitored - think of the movie 'Brazil'). The doodles that I do are on the cafeteria napkins when I go on break. I have to keep my mind from going "blank".
Attached Thumbnails
A-12 Avenger II-sketch2sm.jpg   A-12 Avenger II-sketch3sm.jpg   A-12 Avenger II-sketch4sm.jpg  
Old 05-18-2011, 08:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
wow, I am enjoying this discussion!
(nothing else to say)
Old 05-18-2011, 03:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.15 GB
I am also the topic. Once upon a time I was also looking for information and a lost (404) website about the A-12

A-II Avenger and other planes

Dto gave me a hint (wayback machine)

Internet Archive Wayback Machine

Maybe it is helpful here
Google Adsense

Tags
a-12, avenger ii