PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 06-01-2011, 04:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
Carbonite back-up

We had a computer melt down not to long ago....BUT....we had Carbonite back-up.......and WOW we got every thing back!!! lots of pics and stuff we can't replace. Just thinking of all the work some of you guys put in to your designs..don't take a chance of it all saying by-by...Just a thought.....Rich
Google Adsense
Old 06-01-2011, 05:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 205.52 MB
Rich
Same here, I am not a designer but collector and I have a Seagate External Drive which utilizes Carbonite back up. Until you have a melt down or electrical surge, you have no idea how much stuff you have accumulated.
Joe
Old 06-01-2011, 05:58 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
DVD's make a great back up. They hold around 4.7 g's of info and for a cheap price, you have an archive that will last at least until the next long term media comes along.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
Z, thats a great idea, problem is most people forget to back up as much as they should. Not trying to sound like an add, but the thing about carbonite (and others) is they run in the background and you don't have to give it any thought....when my computer died there was a bunch of stuff my wife was working on lost we thought but we got it all back, stuff from that day was saved.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I have a 2TB drive and a very large safe. Once a week the drive comes out of the safe and gets plugged into the server. Everything gets backed up, then the drive gets completely disconnected and put back into the safe where it's protected from just about everything.

I also have a pair of DVD discs containing the truly important stuff like financial info and so forth (encrypted with truecrypt). Every few months I burn a new copy and take them over to the inlaws who store those discs in their little safe. As we rotate in new copies we destroy the old copies.

If something takes out our place AND the inlaws house (100 miles away) then I doubt I'll be worrying about much past survival <grin>.

Just a note for folks out there. Remember to DISCONNECT your backup drive when not using it. A drive plugged in is still vulnerable to virus, lightning, etc.
Google Adsense
Old 06-02-2011, 01:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Been hearing ads for Carbonite and thought I might check it out. Definetely sounds like its worth a look, thanks.