PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 07-19-2011, 12:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Talking 33 Willys coupe 'Pro Mod' paper model started

I started this paper model design a while back before I moved into our new apartment and never finished it. Still kinda rough and in mothballs.

Folks may not be aware that I am also a huge drag racing fan. I used to own a 1/16 model funny car resin and decal business. I've drawn the most 70's funny car decals in the world...nearly 200 decals.....that's alotta time and alotta love,...over 30 years in drag racing related art. See... there's probably alot about ole Airliner Art few here know about. But as I become more adept at paper model design you may see more. God willing I live that long,...I'm not in very good health.

I may eventually finish this model depending on if there is enough interest here....chime in and let me know if you guys want this stuff.

Here's a pic of the side rough model image for you to ponder..also a link to a vid of a similar pro mod at the racetrack for your viewing and listening enjoyment...crank up the sound!!!.
‪Tin Indian (Johhny Rocca) "33 Willys Pro Mod"Sunday Niagara"‬‏ - YouTube

Regards and God speed....Art
Attached Thumbnails
33 Willys coupe 'Pro Mod' paper model started-webscreen.jpg  

Last edited by Airliner Art; 07-19-2011 at 01:01 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 07-19-2011, 01:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
The Pro Mods are a little too funny carish for my taste, like traditional gassers. In the early 70's used to hang out with Skip Hess and his crew when they were running the Revell Kit Mustang. Made most of the open gas shows (AA/GS and BB/A with 200lbs ballast IIRC) at Irwindale and OCIR....fun stuff.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
I think it would look very cool finished as a model.
I also think the bodywork would be adaptable as a coupe style-hotrod.
In either case, it looks appealing, and would be one I'd build, albeit probably not quite as garish as some of the showcars, hotrods or dragsters I've seen over the years.

Kind and Respectful Regards, Uyraell.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:49 PM

Thanks for the response guys. Uyraell...I like both types of paint jobs on hot rods. Sometimes just a nice candy paint job with just a little pin striping. Sometimes I like full out wild...just depends on the car and the mood. I would agree sometimes they can be rediculas however especially when sponsorship banners and stickers are thrown in the mix.. a few stickers on race cars are OK with me however.

Art
Old 07-19-2011, 02:48 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
I would LOVE to see the good old NHRA represented in the card modeling hobby. We've got F1s and NASCAR aplenty, but drag racing has somehow been ignored. I've been a drag racing fan since the mid 60's, when the 200mph club was very small. Funny cars, pro-mods, gassers, altereds, top fuelers, I love 'em all. If you design it, I'll build it.
Google Adsense
Old 07-19-2011, 02:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 130.59 MB
Looking at that car, for some reason I get this sudden urge to find my ZZ Top tapes.

I say go for it.

Along that line, eventually I'll want to build the "Drag-o-matic." Which was a 1940 Ford Coupe that my Grand Dad used to drag race with back in the day.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:25 PM

Thanks guys! Prolly the lightning bolt hinted reflections...does kinda give a ZZ effect...lol. Glad to hear there is at least some interest here.
Rockpaperscizzor you sound like a crazy drag freak like me...lol
Art
Old 07-19-2011, 03:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Oh, definitely proceed on this. I wasn't familiar with that car, but I like the lines of it.

Have fun with it.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
One of the nicest-looking models i ever had was Tommy Ivo's Showboat By Revell.
A Rail with four Buick (iIrc) V8's.
One Rail I'd enjoy seeing made as a model is out here in NZ. It has an Allison V1710 Aeroengine, taken from a P40.
I have a pic if anyone wants to see it as it was.

As for stickers and paint jobs, a few stickers here and there are fine, but when the entire vehicle is covered in stickers and sponsorship markings it becomes a waste: a sticker or sign-collection on wheels, but certainly no-longer a vehicle worthy of admiration, regardless of its' Quarter Mile Times.

Kind and Respectful Regards, Uyraell.