PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 11-12-2011, 03:55 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
A bit squashed

So, restoring the top and bottom panels' width and reducing the height of the side panels gives us:

T-37 the hard way-t-37fivea.jpg

Comparison with the previous (fourth) iteration:

T-37 the hard way-t-37four-fivea.jpg

A bit better at capturing the wide look of the tweet. Also has the side benefit of making the nacelles fit a bit better (they have less distance to cover when they bend down to the wings as the lower side and wider top/bottom move the attachment line closer to the joint on the wing).

On the other hand, the canopy is lower and looks a bit "racier" than it should. The compound curve on the sides of the nose (curves top to bottom and inward to the front) required cutting two short relief slits on the top edge of each side panel (cuts are at the tops of the two panel lines in the front/mid part of the nose).

Taking a look back where we started:

T-37 the hard way-t-37one-fivea.jpg

Not bad, but needs a bit of tweaking to raise the canopy line. Both versions are recognizable. The first is a good caricature - capturing the basics and emphasizing what's distinctive. The fifth version actually looks a little bland in comparison. In fact, I think we're approaching the "uncanny valley" (look it up, robotics term) where we either need to stop or go all the way for the rivet counters.

Yogi (guess which way I'm headed ...)

Build note: I've been closing the nose with a small disk of paper/card punched out with a standard hole punch and dished with the rounded end of a paintbrush handle. Colored in on the early versions to hide some ugly but left as-is on the last two.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 40.89 MB
That is looking very nice.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Sorry, Retired! I was about half-asleep after a bad night when I made that comment!
Old 11-14-2011, 04:01 PM
Eternal Member

Not to worry Charles. Just trying to make sure anything I share is actually buildable.

Yogi (not in the puzzle business ... I hope)
Old 11-15-2011, 11:19 PM
Eternal Member

Slick six?

So ...

Took a step back and put the side panels back to their original size, then trimmed a bit off the bottom edge of the side panels by simply tracing the bottom edge profile and squeezing it a bit. Along the way I found a few glitches (which is why the test/beta build is important).

I kept getting twist in the aft fuselage which made the tail crooked or required the tail to be glued up straight and then trimmed so the sides matched (doing some violence to the graphics and the size/shape of the tail). Turns out the top fuselage panel was asymmetric - go figure. The extra curve in the nose also required a slit in the front of the top panel to allow it to close properly. Refiddled the exhausts to get a round-ish hole in the back as it should be.

So, iteration six:

T-37 the hard way-t-37sixd.jpg

T-37 the hard way-t-37sixa.jpg

T-37 the hard way-t-37sixb.jpg

T-37 the hard way-t-37sixc.jpg

We've made some progress from the first square box:

T-37 the hard way-t-37one-six.jpg

But there's quite a ways to go to get to something like Jack's A-37:

T-37 the hard way-t-37jacks-six.jpg

Jack's design has more detailed nacelles, a "fat" wing, and a fully rounded fuselage.

Still to do to make the T-37 a proper model:
Add cosmetic parts to cover the nacelle attachment tabs at the intake and exhaust openings;
Add parts for the tailpipes (and size them correctly);
Refine the canopy graphics to match the top and side graphics;
Include the little disk (or a conic) to cover the tip of the nose;
And, of course, label the parts and write some instructions or at least a diagram.

The bottom line of this exercise is to show how to get started making your own creations. Nobody starts off an expert (lord knows I'm not) but even our experts here had to get started. That's the critical step - getting started; followed by building (correcting, rebuilding, modifying, rebuilding, enhancing; rebuilding ... you get the idea).

Yogi
Google Adsense