PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 11-14-2011, 11:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Paper/card models

On many of my card models, it would be nice to be able to fill in the joint caused when, for example, a card tube is constructed. That is, the overlap when glued. Can anyone suggest a suitable filler for this purpose. Thank you.
Google Adsense
Old 11-14-2011, 11:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
I would suggest getting rid of the tab connected to the part and substituting it with a joining strip under both edges of the part - this way you basically glue edge-to-edge with a joining strip reinforcing connection from the inside and there is no need for a filler to get rid of the overlap
Old 11-14-2011, 05:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Small Diameter Tubes
Rolling/Gluing Large-Long Paper Tubes
A method to easily make 1 mm paper rods.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:03 PM

Gremir

Thanks for your reply. I too have used the method you described. In the case I have in mind though, It is a Rhino horn made from four separate small pieces which end in a point thus it impossible to do as you describe, the available space is just too small.I am going to try mixing flour and white glue top apply over the laps. Thanks again.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:00 PM

I've never been able to do pointy cones correctly, thing to do there is to cut the very end of the point off before gluing.
If you glue it first, it does tidy it up if you cut it off after it dries, but I find doing it this way around gets a bit messy.

There's a small part of the very tip of a cone that is impossible to curve or even fold, the diameter at that part of the cone is smaller than the thickness of the paper.
Google Adsense
Old 11-22-2011, 12:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 38.14 MB
Edge glue

Card stock can be glued directly edge to edge very well. With some coaxing, it can be formed into very small, pointy enough shapes. Printing them on thinner card helps too. I keep some 32lb card stock on hand for really small parts. I've even peeled layers of card off the back of the piece to make it more agreeable.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Paper/card models-p2180121.jpg   Paper/card models-p2160119.jpg   Paper/card models-p2190007.jpg