PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 09-03-2008, 02:48 PM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
I'd just like to say thanks for my 'certificate'! I admit that Shrike's early response helped quite a bit, and the rest of it was just being bright enough to search through Ryan's link in his signature looking for a plane with the #26 on it. (And seeing enough of Nobi's build threads to know he draws, unfolds, then colors-textures and his unfolds look like what's posted).
I am curious, other than this plane being housed at Cannon Field currently, what significance does this plane have?
Old 09-03-2008, 05:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.39 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to RyanShort
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansls1 View Post
I am curious, other than this plane being housed at Cannon Field currently, what significance does this plane have?
If you mean this particular plane - not a lot, but I spent a fair bit of money on the plane after a prop-strike a few years back and feel a bit sentimental about it after that point. Took it to my first airshow as a participant. Right now it's down again (probably for a while) after a mechanical/structural issue. I'm sponsoring NOBI's work and planning on the plane being a little bit more expensive than the L-5 - with the extra going to the Squadron as a fundraiser. I don't know of ANY L-2 kits being made right now besides this one. I have an old wood kit from 1946, and have seen one or two old balsa flying kits, but that's it.
The L-2s were almost exclusively used on the home front as training aircraft. There is some information that a very few of them may have made it to North Africa by accident. The aircraft is in my opinion a bit better than the J-3/L-4, but ended up being phased out in the L-4's favor due to it gaining a reputation as a "hot ship" with several fatal stall/spin accidents. If one is careful of this, it has better performance.
BTW. For folks who are concerned with a $6-8 price range it'll likely be in, timewise it takes quite a bit more to design, test, and layout a cardmodel... I try to pay the designers I work with as generously as possible, but frankly, they're probably working for what would be minimum wage on it. And believe it or not, I still haven't broken even on the L-5 yet! I'm doing it more for the long-term idea I have than because it makes a lot of sense (or cents!).

Ryan
Old 09-03-2008, 06:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I figured out the airplane by looking at the parts but I didn't have time to do anything other than a cursory search to find the specific one (running late to work)

I'd offer you a deal on your next propstrike, but O-200's are the smallest TCM we deal with. (now, frag a TIO-540 and we'll talk<G>)
Old 09-03-2008, 07:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Ryan -- You can count on an L-2 sale to me. Don
Old 09-03-2008, 08:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.39 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to RyanShort
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike View Post
I figured out the airplane by looking at the parts but I didn't have time to do anything other than a cursory search to find the specific one (running late to work)

I'd offer you a deal on your next propstrike, but O-200's are the smallest TCM we deal with. (now, frag a TIO-540 and we'll talk<G>)
Well, for the record, the prop strike was related to a pair of gopher holes, and the necessity for an expedited turnoff from a grass runway.

Thanks Don!

Ryan
Google Adsense
Old 09-03-2008, 09:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.48 MB
just an eye candy...work progress is slow because I have workload of day job but will release soon

Old 09-04-2008, 04:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Very nice, NOBi.

Don