PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 01-28-2013, 02:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 359.93 MB
Definitely something about those Boeing's, The 307, B-29, C-97, etc. with the glazed nose without a distinct cockpit. Anyone know of a C-97 model? John, Scott, maybe another multi-year project...

Pics of my build to follow in a few days.

Niki
Old 01-28-2013, 02:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.36 MB
Because I work for Boeing, and friends helped restore the Flying Cloud, I am very excited to see this one!
Old 02-04-2013, 12:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.31 MB
Hi gwssms,

Perhaps you or your friends may be able to answer a question. What are these disk covers over the engines in the attached photo? From the photos I’ve found they seem to be exclusive to the Pan Am 307s. The TWA 307s had cowl flaps while the Pan Am aircraft didn’t. I’m wondering if they performed a similar function. I’m planning to add these covers as optional pieces for the Pan Am Stratoliner and I’d at least like to know what to call them.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 113.24 MB
My guess is they're there to keep the engines from running too cool in the cold air at high altitude. The problem with that is the early B-17s also didn't have cowl flaps and they didn't have those. Maybe there's a Pan Am mechanic out there who has the answer.
Wayne
Old 02-04-2013, 08:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
Lightbulb Ice Obdurator Discs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dell View Post
Hi gwssms,

Perhaps you or your friends may be able to answer a question. What are these disk covers over the engines in the attached photo? From the photos I’ve found they seem to be exclusive to the Pan Am 307s. The TWA 307s had cowl flaps while the Pan Am aircraft didn’t. I’m wondering if they performed a similar function. I’m planning to add these covers as optional pieces for the Pan Am Stratoliner and I’d at least like to know what to call them.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Hello John,
I have posted what I believe to be the best reasonable explanation in the comments for your gallery photo as above shown.

I admit I may well be in error, but your question did spark in me some recall of the topic.

I hope you find the little bit of information helpful, and that our friend gwssms can help confirm or correct the info I posted.

Kind and Respectful Regards John, Uyraell.

"Honi-Soit Qui Mal'Y Pense."
"Ill unto He who ill of it thinks."
- Ed.III Rex Britaniam, AD1348.
Google Adsense
Old 02-05-2013, 06:05 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Ok, recanting previous statement, I have now found the inflight pictures with the
mysterious panels in place. However, I also found an inflight Pan Am picture
without the panels. I wonder perhaps if it is not in place to provide a warmer
engine environment for cold weather operations? The same aircraft N19903, is
seen with and without the covers.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!

Last edited by Texman; 02-05-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:31 AM

Thanks to everyone for the input. The ice obturator disks or ice-screen description from John/Uyraell makes sense. I have also come across an article referring to them as “baffle plates” which I assume is another name for the same devise. Texman, at first I had the same thought you did but I found an inflight photo with them in place. See attached.

The differences between the Pan Am and TWA 307s are rather interesting. I was especially surprised to find that the TWA Stratoliners had Fowler flaps. It is a shame these planes never got turbo chargers.

Thanks again!

Old 02-05-2013, 11:10 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
John, you got your post in after I fixed mine. I found pictures inflight of the same aircraft both with and without the panels.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 02-05-2013, 02:04 PM

Texman, I’ve come across a similar thing with the TWA 307s. There are photos of them with and without de-icing boots. Trying to correlate all the info on Stratoliner variations has been like putting together a jigsaw puzzle. And they only built ten of them!
Old 11-08-2015, 08:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
Thought this might be a good place to put this, rather than start a new thread. I made a minor change to the repainted version of the Scissors and Planes Stratoliner. The original repaint changed the PAA S-307 to the TWA SA-307B that was featured in a publicity campaign as the "airliner for 1940", NX 1940. I modified it to NC 19906, the number the aircraft flew with after the ad campaign was over. I was planning on building the model in 1/144 scale, but discovered after it was finished that it's a bit bigger than that due to a scaling error on my part. I'll just have to build another one sometime, I guess. I want to add the missing flap actuator covers anyway.

Scott K.
Attached Thumbnails
Boeing Model 307 Stratoliner-twa-1.jpg   Boeing Model 307 Stratoliner-twa-2.jpg   Boeing Model 307 Stratoliner-twa-3.jpg   Boeing Model 307 Stratoliner-144-307-4.jpg  
Google Adsense