PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 09-05-2008, 10:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
Boeing Model 307 Stratoliner

I first showed this one here in this thread; A Fresh Start Then after a few problems and losing interest, I lost it and a bunch of other designs in my disk crash last October. Finally, I've gotten back to it.

This test build is 1/72, rather than 1/48 like the first one, so as to save space. The model still needs the various scoops, intakes, antenna's, and engine exhausts, not to mention some proper coloring. I "cheated" and made the model wheels-up to save time. I'll probably either make a stand, or add proper gear later.

Thanks again to John Dell for the engines and reference material, a very big help!

Scott K.
Attached Thumbnails
Boeing Model 307 Stratoliner-models-014a.jpg   Boeing Model 307 Stratoliner-models-015a.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 09-05-2008, 11:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi

This looks very promising indeed Scott. Are you designing this without 3D unwrapping software..?

Regards

Terry
Old 09-06-2008, 08:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I'm glad to see someone designing and building this grand old historic airplane. The model looks great.

Don
Old 09-06-2008, 09:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
Awesome! Can't wait to see this thing finished :D
Old 09-06-2008, 01:14 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Nice!

Nice looking proto Scott. Any idea of what the paint will be?

+Gil
Google Adsense
Old 09-06-2008, 06:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
Terrry, Thanks. Nope, just good old 2d drafting. I use Cone V1.3 to unroll the cone shapes.

Thanks Don and Willy, glad you like it.

Gil, not too many choices for the paint. There were only 10 built, for TWA and Pan American. TWA's 5 were "drafted" and used as the AAF's C-75, so that gives a third scheme. Howard Hughes also had one custom built as his "Flying Penthouse", so that's another possibility. The last survivor, now in the Smithsonian, flew in a blue and white scheme before it's restoration to Pan-Am specs.

The only other remaining Stratoliner is Hughes'. It was damaged by a hurricane, and ended up being converted into a luxury yacht(!). Google "Londonaire", and "Cosmic Muffin" to see it. I'm considering doing one of those as well.

The current build was done Fiddlers Green style, with tabs on all parts. That made it a bit easier to build, and I was going to try offering it to Chip as well. I do plan on reworking it with bulkheads and joing strips. I think the nose on this build would have come out much better that way.

Scott K.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:33 PM

One of those aircraft was used by the International Commission in Vietnam in the 1950s. Don't have time just now to look up the color scheme, but it ought to be susceptible of being tracked down. And, of course, there is a surviving example in the Udvar-Hazy facility of the National Air and Space Museum (the one that pancaked in Puget Sound after being restored and was later recovered).

Don
Old 09-08-2008, 06:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
nice model Scott! Good job and I hope we can find it on fg soon!
Old 09-08-2008, 07:47 PM

I’ve found some images of the B-307s used by the International Control Commission in Indochina. They belonged to the French firm Aigle-Azure and had French Registrations F-BELU and F-BELV. If you go to this site and then click on the registrations for B-307, you can get the data on owners and fates and some photos. AeroTransport Data Bank (ATDB) - Index 8B - Aircraft Registrations

Other French registered B-307s were F-BELX and F-BELY

Here are some more sites with additional (in some cases conflicting) information:

This site, which deals primarily with the Smithsonian B-307, has a list of B-307 crashes that indicates that B-307s flew under French, Cambodian, and Laotian registrations (some of the aircraft may have served under more than one registration):F-BHHR (Aigle Azur Extreme Orient), F-BELZ (Airnautic), F-BELV (one of the ICC aircraft), XW-PGR (Royal Air Lao), XW-TFR (Cambodia Air Commercial), and XW-TFP (Royal Air Lao)
The Strange Truth About the 28 March 2002 Boeing 307 Crash

Here is a Royal Air Laos advertisement image: Air Laos

This Time Magazine article mentions that the aircraft belonged to Aigle Azur: How Not to Supervise a Peace - TIME

Here is a report on the crash of F-BELV in November 1965 with the loss of all on board: ~MIAs~

Here is a report of sightings of F-BELY and F-BELX that (apparently erroneously) refers to them as the ICC aircraft: Airdrop | Flight Journal | Find Articles at BNET

Don
Old 09-08-2008, 09:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
Gotta love having a history man around. Thanks Boosed!
Google Adsense