PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 04-05-2012, 03:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi all just wanted to keep this thing going in tribute to 707. Allen I am looking forward to seeing what you've been up to. Until then. Here's a little sample of what I've been up to.
Attached Thumbnails
Usr ux-1-707_colored_3.jpg   Usr ux-1-707_colored_4.jpg  
Old 04-06-2012, 10:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
Hey that looks nice. Did you model that off the Task Force 707 model kit. I was so happy to finally got that kit, but when I trying to build it, oh man...... not fun.

I was side tracked with new models ideas again. I didn't start building them yet, just setting up templates in Rhino, even that still took a lot of time off from UX1. But, now I'm back on UX1 again, I did more changes again and just finished unfolding in Rhino too and about to transfer to Photoshop. I was working on the parts #ing system, and that was not fun at all. Think I'll just goes 1,2,3,4,5..... 1001 and so on. I personally don't need to # parts, I know where everything goes, but I'm sure other would like that # stuff.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:03 PM

707 3D project

Hi,

I do have the Task Force kit, but no I did not base my model on it. Mine is based on the movie version. I used a Platz resin kit version that is 1/700 scale as a reference. I built blue prints to scale and used the illustrations as guides in 3D Studio Max. I have done the same thing with the UX and the 707 Junior which I will be building in 3d as well for use in 3d printing. Although the UX is a lost foam method fiberglass hull that I am building. I included a pic of it here for you to see although I think I have posted it before. It looks rough. but once the glass is applied with some bondo and sanding it will look much better. The UX is about 3.5 feet long whereas the 707 is only about 22 inches long, but it will be printed in 3d in plastic.

Anyway, I just finished building the prop for the 707 so my next post will include that. Just to ask, are you still ok with me occasionally posting a pic related to 707 here on your forum? I seriously don't want to intrude, but I figure we both love it, and we're like the only 2 people in the world who seem to be so obsessed with it.

I went ahead and added two more of the screens from the most recent work on the prop. One is has a cool effect I like that makes it look like an anime and the other is more realistic. I am planning to really go all the way with the model so it has all the textures and everything to real. Like even photo realistic. While also using the model to have the hull built from.
Attached Thumbnails
Usr ux-1-ux-13.jpg   Usr ux-1-707_12.jpg   Usr ux-1-707_11.jpg  

Last edited by chad; 04-07-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:35 PM

You are welcome, post away. I would love to see what people doing.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodduck View Post
. . .

I was working on the parts #ing system, and that was not fun at all. Think I'll just goes 1,2,3,4,5..... 1001 and so on. I personally don't need to # parts, I know where everything goes, but I'm sure other would like that # stuff.

Allen, that’s something that happens to everyone who have designed a kit: when we design something, we know exactly where everything goes. But when thinking on another person building the kit, it is sometimes difficult to number the parts in a clear way, and make instructions so that everybody understands and build correctly.

People who have followed this thread will also recognize many of the parts thanks to the images you’ve shown. So even if you just number 1-1000 (without A, B, C… sub sections) a good modeler will still be able to make a good build of your kit. I think that a logical numbering of parts (following the order of construction) and a good image (whether is a 3-view or an exploded view) indicating the numbers of the parts are a very useful guide to building, and can even replace several pages of written instructions.

I dare to make the following suggestion, only with the intention to help a bit. But of course, this is just a suggestion and you don’t have to make it the way I say: You are very good at using 3-D software, and I think you could create an exploded or perspective view of the inner structure of the submarine, indicating the numbers of the parts. Also, an additional perspective or exploded view of the model showing the outer skin with the number of the parts will be a perfect complement. These views, along with the numbered parts on the pages would be a good guide for the modeler. That kind of visual instructions of the Folletto were very good, without need of written instructions (although you made a great job with the numbering of the parts of the Savoia because it was clear and easy to follow, I missed those visual aids in the Savoia). If a person is not used to your way of designing it may be a bit difficult to build the submarine, so probably images can be a good help.

That is only a suggestion, if you find it useful then it is fine, but if you think my idea is not good then just discard it

Regards,

Ruben

Google Adsense
Old 04-09-2012, 07:33 AM

707 movie version

Allen,

This was the version I based my boat on for a little more visual aid. Some of the notable differences between the movie and the task force version are that the movie version has a shorter hull length, more rounded minisub bays, a shorter rear missile section, a taller sail, and a more rounded bow section. I am not certain but I think the task force version was based on the movie version, bit they didn't have a license so the version is more stretched looking. but I could be wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
Usr ux-1-real_side.jpg  
Old 04-09-2012, 03:34 PM

I believe this based on the comic version. Don't have the material with me right now to check, but I do think it is one of the comic version.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 24.06 MB
the subs is looking good, good work.

if I didn't found this on paper model forum, this can be mistaken as plastic model :D
Old 04-11-2012, 09:18 AM

Sail and planes

Allen,

Are you saying you think mine is the comic version. I have seen the comic version. It is similar, but not quite the same exactly. The movie version like all the other version is unique. It is similar. More so than the long stretched version. I think the version you made your paper model is based on the comic version. Is that what you are saying?

Anyway, here's another pic of the sail with planes. I am now separating each part that will be manufactured out in to an exportable form. It's tough because I am only now getting back in to 3d which is hard enough, but figuring out what the best way to work these out so that they are exportable is the hardest part because it is hard surface modeling. You engineers know more about this than I do. Cool stuff, but all new to me. I have to take in to account how smooth it actually is, and wall thickness and how it affect the price and the model itself. Fun Fun Fun. It really is fun!
Attached Thumbnails
Usr ux-1-707_sail.jpg  
Old 04-11-2012, 08:04 PM

Been busy coming back from Taxes catching up with things and our 20th anniversary party and all, finally got to do the UX-1 test build. Still working on the # system. I don't know if my unconventional frame design made the # system complicated or what. Right now I'm #ing the parts by building sequence as I goes. I separated the hull frame to three section: bow, mid and aft. The pictures showing the completed bow section. It is very different form the traditional ship frame design and maybe even looks more complicated, but I do like to design my model to be a play toy not just a static display model so it need to able to take some handling, cause I do play with my toys. I'm not saying traditional frame design is not good, I'm not saying that at all. I just like to try to do the same thing differently and maybe, hopefully make it better alone the way. Any way, the bulkheads and the spars are not exactly dropped into place for the bow section, but once done, the reward is a very solid bow frame. I can almost drop kick it like a football..... maybe not. The mid frame should be much easier to put together. I'll try to get that done soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Usr ux-1-54.jpg   Usr ux-1-55.jpg   Usr ux-1-56.jpg   Usr ux-1-57.jpg   Usr ux-1-58.jpg  

Usr ux-1-59.jpg   Usr ux-1-60.jpg   Usr ux-1-61.jpg   Usr ux-1-62.jpg   Usr ux-1-63.jpg  

Last edited by goodduck; 04-11-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Google Adsense